[News] [Rival] Vista and Windows Server 2008 Under Attack, No Real Patch Available

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Vista and Windows Server 2008 Under Attack, No Real Patch Available
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 23:43:44 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Exploit published for SMB2 vulnerability in Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| A fully functional exploit for the security vulnerability in
| the SMB2 protocol implementation has been published. It can be
| used to discover and attack vulnerable Windows machines
| remotely. By integrating the exploit into the Metasploit
| exploit toolkit, attackers have access to a wide range of
| attack options, ranging from issuing a warning to setting up a
| convenient backdoor on a user's system.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/security/Exploit-published-for-SMB2-vulnerability-in-Windows--/news/114343

Hackers release new attack code for Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| On 18 September Microsoft released a Fix-It tool that disables
| SMB 2, and the company said then that it was working on a fix
| for its software.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1556615/hackers-release-attack-code-windows

Pressure on Microsoft, as Windows Attack Now Public

,----[ Quote ]
| Metasploit developer HD Moore said Monday that the exploit
| works on Windows Vista Service Pack 1 and 2 as well as Windows
| 2008 SP1 server. It should also work on Windows 2008 Service
| Pack 2, he added in a Twitter message.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/172739/pressure_on_microsoft_as_windows_attack_now_public.html

Recent:

With Exploits on the Way, It's Critical Win 7 Testers Run Tool to Safeguard Their PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Update 1 11:21 p.m., Mon. Sept 21, 2009:  Some users are
| reporting trouble running the tool to disable the SMB.  As
| Microsoft's security advisory lists the Windows 7 RC (see
| the Faq, it's not in the lists OS's) as affected, and says
| to follow the advised steps, its unclear what to do here.
| Brandon Hill tried to run the tool in the 64-bit version of
| the release candidate, like the commenter did, and
| confirmed that it fails.  Its unclear if the tool works for
| 32-bit release candidates, the betas, or none of the
| Windows 7 releases at all.  We'll update further as we get
| more details.
`----

http://www.dailytech.com/With+Exploits+on+the+Way+Its+Critical+Win+7+Testers+Run+Tool+to+Safeguard+Their+PCs/article16298.htm

Internet meltdown threat: Conficker worm refuses to turn

,----[ Quote ]
| The brightest minds in technology and government are
| finding it "almost impossible" to defeat the Conficker
| worm, which has infected more than 5 million computers and,
| experts say, could be used to knock down the internet in
| entire countries.
|
| The worm, first detected in November last year, spreads
| rapidly to computers through a flaw in the Windows
| operating system.
`----

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/security/internet-meltdown-threat-conficker-worm-refuses-to-turn-20090922-fzlh.html

Clampi computer virus threatens online banking customers

,----[ Quote ]
| Only computers running various Windows operating systems
| are affected.  The virus cannot install itself on Linux
| based systems.
`----

http://www.moneyhighstreet.com/finance-news/5174/

Related: