[News] Microsoft Fixated with "Hatred" of GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft Fixated with "Hatred" of GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 14:03:51 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Top Microsoft execs outline 2010 challenges

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's server and tools business in the coming year will focus on gaining
| ground in the high-end database and server market, helping users transition to the
| cloud and extending its dominance over Linux, according to the division president.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/092909-microsoft-2010-challenges.html?hpg1=bn

Red Hat to collide with Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| For years, Red Hat has happily sold Linux to Unix shops anxious to save money at
| equivalent or better performance. During this time, the company largely avoided
| Microsoft, which has tended to compete much higher up the stack. No longer.
| Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer argues that one of Microsoft's biggest opportunities
| lies in enterprise infrastructure and associated application development.
|
| Red Hat, meet Redmond.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10363396-16.html

Recent:

What Are You Prepared To Do?

,----[ Quote ]
| Who is willing to take a Linux laptop into one of these stores and let
| the salesman give his pitch then categorically prove him wrong?
|
| Who is going to personally visit the Store Manager and tell him that
| millions of people are now aware of this campaign and sanctions are being
| prepared if they carry out this deception and FUD?
`----

http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2009/09/what-are-you-prepared-to-do.html

Fun and FUD in the Fall Flamebait Follies

,----[ Quote ]
| The news originally broke in Spanish on Matware, but an English
| translation -- complete with video clip -- confirmed the incredible news.
|
| The speech did apparently end up taking place at another location, but
| bloggers didn't take the news lying down.
|
| 'Devious Means'
|
| "The saddest thing here is that this is a tax-supported public University | we are talking about," wrote jkohen, for example, in a lengthy
| conversation on LWN that quickly turned into an analysis of free speech.
|
| "One has to wonder, how many other speeches (not just by rms) have been
| quietly not-approved in other universities at MS's behest?" added
| coriordan.
|
| Similarly: "I think Argentina just embarrassed itself as a country,"
| Montreal consultant and Slashdot blogger Gerhard Mack told LinuxInsider.
|
| And again: "There can be no greater proof that Free Software is
| necessary" than this incident, blogger Robert Pogson said. "The EULA of
| M$ has 'no benchmarking' restrictions, too.
|
| "M$ is caught trying to protect its FUD by devious means," Pogson told
| LinuxInsider. "Its claims of superiority ring hollow."
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Fun-and-FUD-in-the-Fall-Flamebait-Follies-68080.html

Are Microsoft Partners Spreading Open-Source Fear?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft and its channel partners are bound together with the glue of mutual
| commercial success. That's a big reason why Microsoft VARs are always quick
| to defend the software giant's interests. Criticize Microsoft in front of a
| group of partners and you may find yourself being forced to run for cover
|
| [...]
|
| Is Microsoft siccing its legions of loyal partners on the security reputation
| of open-source software? If so, it would contradict Microsoft's recent steps
| toward a rapprochement with the open-source community.
|
| [...]
|
| Criticism of the security of open source may have been more valid a decade
| ago, but today, Apache and the Linux stack are ubiquitous in the industry and
| run some of the largest online retail operations in existence, noted Greg
| Hanchin, principal for Denver-based security solution provider Dirsec.
|
| "Open source is just another common piece of infrastructure; it's almost like
| Internet Protocol at this point," Hanchin said.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/214200273

Related:

MS struggles to discredit Linux