[News] List of GNU/Linux Backup Applications and a Look at Evince

  • Subject: [News] List of GNU/Linux Backup Applications and a Look at Evince
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 01:47:06 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Six Linux backup apps and how to choose the one that works for you

,----[ Quote ]
| When it comes to choosing a data backup system
| tool for Linux, the problem isn't finding
| options. It's choosing the one that best
| matches your businesses' needs. Here are six
| popular Linux data backup offerings and the
| pros and cons of each.
`----

http://searchstorage.techtarget.com.au/articles/35911-Six-Linux-backup-apps-and-how-to-choose-the-one-that-works-for-you

Evince: Speed and Functionality Combined

,----[ Quote ]
| In the heterogeneous computing world of today,
| documents are encapsulated in a variety of
| formats, from the mundane PDF to the high-
| resolution tiffs needed in typography. To be able
| to view all of them you could use four or five
| different applications, or you could just employ
| Evince. GNOME users are probably well
| familiarized with this document viewer. Every
| time you click a PDF you downloaded from the web,
| it will start up and, in an instant, render the
| document for you to view.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Evince-Speed-and-Functionality-Combined-122781.shtml

Recent:

On-line Backups: Flexible Enough for Home & the Office

,----[ Quote ]
| Another on-line backup service that uses rsync is rsync.net. It is a very
| popular service, primarily because of itâs support (i.e. engineers man the
| phones for the most part). Currently, rsync.net supports:
|
|     * rsync/scp/sftp
|
|     * unison
|
|     * rdiff-backup
|
|     * It also supports certain commands using ssh
|
|     * You can mount the file system using sshfs
|
|     * An encryption tool called duplicity that uses rsync but also performs
|     GPG encryption in the process
|
|     * Remote subversion repositories
|
|     * Remote data dumps of MySQL and PostgreSQL databases
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7490/1.html

My Perfect Backup Setup

,----[ Quote ]
| For a long time I relied on an external hard drive and Jungle Disk as my
| daily backup solution. This wasn't the most advanced backup setup, but it did
| the trick. Recently, however, I added a new device to my local network: a
| tiny Linux-based server with the silly name Bubba Two. Initially, I planned
| to use it for hosting my private wiki and testing LAMPP-based applications.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Productivity-Sauce-Dmitri-s-open-source-blend-of-productive-computing/My-Perfect-Backup-Setup

Linux backup guide

,----[ Quote ]
| Performing data backup and recovery in a Linux environment poses some unique
| challenges. Brien Posey, a freelance writer and former CIO, answers some of
| the most common questions about Linux data backup in this Q&A. His answers
| are also available as an MP3 below.
`----

http://searchstorage.techtarget.com.au/articles/34945-Linux-backup-guide

Arkeia Software Announces Arkeia Network Backup Version 8.1

,----[ Quote ]
| Managed Service Providers (MSPs) that deliver cloud computing typically
| leverage both Linux and server virtualization, areas where Arkeia has
| demonstrated leadership and innovation. Linux provides a robust,
| cost-effective and flexible platform to deliver hosted services and
| virtualization improves the efficiencies of server deployment and management.
| With Arkeia Network Backup version 8.1, MSPs now have the ability to deliver
| even more customized backup capabilities to their customers with a system
| that is secure, scalable and granular.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20090616005051&newsLang=en

Druvaa inSync Enterprise Laptop Backup Released on Linux Platform

,----[ Quote ]
| Druvaa announced the long awaited general availability of Druvaa inSync v3 on
| Linux platform.
|
| Druvaa inSync is fully automated laptop backup software which protects
| corporate data for office and remote users. It features simple backup,
| point-in-time restores, and patent-pending data deduplication technology to
| make backups up to 10 times faster.
`----

http://www.prweb.com/releases/enterprise/linux-laptop-backup/prweb2533394.htm

Mandriva's answer to Ubuntu One : Click'n' Backup

,----[ Quote ]
| There have been few misconceptions which have been cleared by developers :
| The software was meant to be released previous year but due to some
| difficulties they plan it to release with 2009.1 Spring , and they say they
| don't aim to UbuntuOne service which is pretty irrelevant ? Even if they
| initially didn't launch it to compete with Ubuntu One it doesn't make sense
| that it is not in competition with Ubuntu one and dropbox..and this service
| seems to be a good competitor to Ubuntu One and Rockbox ,.
`----

http://www.techenclave.com/open-source-and-linux/mandrivas-answer-ubuntu-one-clickn-backup-136709.html

Mandriva get into the cloud backup business

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/Mandriva-get-into-the-cloud-backup-business--/news/113371