[News] Street-View Camera Runs Linux

West Point Grad Builds $300 Home-Brew Street-View Camera

,----[ Quote ]
| Using eight cheap webcams, a GPS receiver and open-source
| software, West Point graduate Roy D. Ragsdale built a rig that
| can do what Googleâs Street-View cars do: take images of the
| world around it and stitch them together into panoramas. The
| difference? This version can be carried on your head and cost
| just $300 to make. The hacked-together software suite can even
| throw out files that can be viewed in Google Earth. Ragsdale:
|
|    Construction was straightforward. On a flat octagonal heavy-
|    cardboard base, I glued small posts for the camerasâ clips to
|    latch onto. I aligned each unit and then placed the USB hubs
|    and the GPS receiver in the middle. I secured the cables with
|    Velcro and sandwiched everything with another piece of
|    cardboard. The whole thingâs the size of a small pizza box,
|    weighing less than 1 kilogram. Excluding the notebook (a 2-
|    gigahertz machine with 512 megabytes of RAM running Ubuntu
|    Linux), the hardware cost about $300.
`----

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/09/the-300-home-brew-street-view-camera/

Recent:

Open source camera could pave the way for open source hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently a Techrepublic reader sent me a link to this story from Science Daily
| about a professor (Mark Levoy) of computer science at Stanford who is developing
| an open source camera. The article tells the story of a fledgling program,
| Computational Photography, which researches photography to help improve cameras.
| Mr. Levoy developed the camera so that other computational photographers could
| help improve the software.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=914

Frankencamera is open source, runs on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2009/09/04/frankencamera-is-open-source-runs-on-linux/