[News] Android Consortium Grows

MIPS joins Android consortium

,----[ Quote ]
| Processor manufacturer MIPS Technologies has joined the
| Open Handset Alliance (OHA), a consortium of around 47
| companies headed by Google, involved in developing the
| Android mobile platform.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/146233

Five Features We Want to See in Android

,----[ Quote ]
| The most exciting part of our interview with Mozilla
| Mobile VP Jay Sullivan was when he mentioned how
| Fennec, a Firefox-based mobile browser (that might land
| on Android someday), will give Firefox users the
| ability to sync browser history, passwords, bookmarks,
| or even the last set of tabs opened. Google can likely
| go beyond these basics, and should. The only thing
| better than a fast and snappy browser is one that's a
| simple extension of your already-snappy desktop
| browser.
`----

http://lifehacker.com/5371225/five-features-we-want-to-see-in-android

Study: Android's on a Mobile Web Tear

,----[ Quote ]
| The ad marketplace AdMob has released a study that
| looks at how often the ads on its network are accessed
| by various mobile platforms. The iPhone ruled the roost
| at 40 percent, but Android's figures showed
| considerably growth. "Android phones actually have only
| four to five percent of the U.S. market, and they
| account for 13 percent of usage of AdMob's network,"
| said JBB Research CEO Julien Blin. "That's interesting."
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/68270.html?wlc=1254500932

Related:

Android alliance adds 14 members

,----[ Quote ]
| The Open Handset Alliance (OHA), which oversees the Google-sponsored Android
| mobile Linux specification, has added 14 members. New members include AKM
| Semiconductor, ARM, ASUSTek Computer (Asus), Atheros Communications, Borqs,
| Ericsson, Garmin International, Huawei Technologies, Omron Software, Softbank
| Mobile, Sony Ericsson, Teleca AB, Toshiba, and Vodafone.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3115924222.html?kc=rss

Android Devices Likely From Sony Ericsson, Asus

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony Ericsson, Toshiba and Asus could launch as soon as next summer new, less
| expensive cell phones, based on Google's mobile operating system - Android.
| The companies have stated today their interest in developing devices based on
| Android, and joined the Open Handset Alliance together with 11 other members.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/155195/android_google.html?tk=rss_news

Android answers call for free smartphone software

,----[ Quote ]
| Google decided to create a better operating system for mobile phones, just as
| Microsoftâs Windows helps a user to operate a PC. Unlike Windows, however,
| Googleâs software for mobiles, called Android, would be free and âopen
| sourceâ.
|
| The open source concept has been used in other technological advances ranging
| from web browsers, such as Mozillaâs Firefox, to operating systems, such as
| Linux. It means that programmers and developers can have access to the code
| behind the software, essentially its DNA.
`----

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/related_reports/business_solutions/article5308969.ece

MontaVista touts Android readiness

,----[ Quote ]