[News] Zmanda Uses the Fog Computing Hype to Market Free Software

  • Subject: [News] Zmanda Uses the Fog Computing Hype to Market Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 20:07:49 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Zmanda Does Cloud Storage for Less with Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Zmanda is adding new features to its cloud-based backup
| offering to better compete with market leaders EMC (NYSE:
| EMC) and Symantec (NASDAQ: SYMC).
|
| Zmanda uses open source-based backup software and Amazon's
| (NASDAQ: AMZN) Simple Storage Service (S3) to best EMC's
| MozyPro and Symantec on price. Now the company hopes its
| latest features will catch on with small and mid-sized
| businesses (SMBs) looking to back up their Microsoft
| Windows environments while meeting security and compliance
| demands.
`----

http://www.enterprisestorageforum.com/outsourcing/news/article.php/3841941

Recent:

Zmandaâs 3.0 backup supports cloud, Sharepoint, PostgreSQL, EnterpriseDB

,----[ Quote ]
| Those are two of many key new features of Amanda Enterprise 3.0, the
| Sunnyvale, Calif. company announced today.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=3514

Zmanda's Cloud-based Open Source Backup for SMEs

,----[ Quote ]
| Let's face it, in these tough economic times, what could play better than a
| low-cost backup offering based on open source technologies?
|
| That's what Zmanda is hoping as it rolls out new cloud and enterprise data
| backup and recovery offerings.
`----

http://www.enterpriseitplanet.com/storage/news/article.php/3806381

Open Source + Amazon Storage = Less Backup Cost

,----[ Quote ]
| Enter a new player in small and medium business backup, Zmanda. They mashed
| together two money-saving tools to drop the costs of online backup lower than
| most of their competitors. By adding open source backup software with the
| storage infrastructure of Amazon's S3, they multiply savings. You can use
| some Zmanda products to backup locally, but I strongly (repeat, strongly)
| recommend you also save a copy of all data offsite as well.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/small-business/62779/open-source-amazon-storage-less-backup-cost

Zmanda Partners With Sun to Launch Advanced Backup Solutions Based on
OpenSolaris

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/Zmanda-Partners-With-Sun-Launch/story.aspx?guid=%7BF9129A99-220E-4990-BCF6-6BFB4631A8E0%7D