[News] Red Hat Tells the United States Supreme Court to Rubbish Software Patents

  • Subject: [News] Red Hat Tells the United States Supreme Court to Rubbish Software Patents
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 20:24:51 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Red Hat Urges Supreme Court to Address Difficulties Posed By Patents to Software

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20091001006267&newsLang=en

Red Hat files brief in Supreme Court patent case

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat is adding its say to the Bilski patent case,
| filing a brief with the U.S. Supreme Court emphasizing
| practical problems with software patents.
|
| Red Hat argues that the patent system is supposed to
| foster innovation, but in software it does the
| opposite, slowing and discouraging innovation. Software
| products may involve thousands of patentable
| components, leaving developers to risk defending costly
| patent infringement claims.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source/red-hat-files-brief-in-supreme-court-patent-case-176

Red Hat Files its Bilski Brief: Asks Supreme Ct. to Exclude Software From Patentability - Updated, text

,----[ Quote ]
| They stand alone alone so far among vendors, willing to
| stand up and express what the FOSS community would
| really say if it could speak with one voice to the
| Supreme Court. This is certainly what *I* would say if
| I had that chance. And so I am satisfied. I was going
| down the depressing list of briefs filed for Petitioner
| on the ABA's list of filed amicus briefs, and it was so
| frustrating to see no one saying anything like what I
| believe to be technically true about software patents
| or addressing the specific needs of Free and Open
| Source software. At last someone has told them what we
| wanted to say. I just hope the Supreme Court has some
| techies in the clerk pool!

Red Hat comes out swinging against software patents

,----[ Quote ]
| What do Microsoft, Red Hat, and Canonical all have in
| common? They all dislike software patents. Don't get me
| wrong. Many companies that are anti-patent also hold
| and use patents against their enemies. Microsoft is one
| of those. But, if you get an in-house corporate IP
| (intellectual property) lawyer from any company in a
| bar, he or she will tell you that software patents are
| awful. So, I'm pleased to report that Red Hat, has
| filed an amicus curiae brief with SCOTUS (Supreme Court
| of the United States) asking the Court to adopt the
| Bilski case ruling and explictly extend it so that
| software can't be patented.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/14840/red_hat_comes_out_swinging_against_software_patents

Red Hat files Software Patent Brief

,----[ Quote ]
| Oh and one section in all caps âAN ABSTRACT IDEA DOES
| NOT BECOME PATENTABLE MERELY BY IMPLEMENTING IT IN
| COMPUTER SOFTWAREâ.
|
| A further note of interest is the references Red Hat
| draws upon, including thinkers such as Donald Knuth and | Richard M. Stallman.
|
| For a laugh, one might like to contrast the vital
| effort Red Hat is making here attempting to correct
| what is almost universally recognized as a broken
| patent system hindering software innovation and
| personal freedom with Novellâs press release today,
| âGot Mono?â where Novell takes another opportunity to
| hawk Mono and .NET.
`----

http://www.the-source.com/2009/10/red-hat-files-software-patent-brief/

Recent:

Red Hat Stories Liberating Innovation Software Patent Challenges

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g21E217F5s

Red Hat Makes its Position Patent

,----[ Quote ]
| My reasoning was that this was an extremely technical consideration of the
| issue of software patents, and that the people pondering the matter would not
| be interested in vague philosophical waffle about why software patents were a
| bad thing. They would be looking for keenly-argued, legalistic comments of
| the kind I was manifestly unable to provide.
|
| Instead, I thought it better to leave this one to those better able to obtain
| some heavy legal advice on what should be written, and how.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=2162

Steve Stites - Subject: Thank You ( May 5, 2009, 19:43:29 )

,----[ Quote ]
| I think that a more appropriate title for the article would be "Red Hat
| speaks for us all on software patents".
|

| Thank you, Red Hat.
|

| Red Hat presents the Open Source argument against software patents very well.
| I would also like to see a commercial software company such as Microsoft
| present the commercial argument against software patents. Software patents
| are less than a zero sum game among the commercial software companies. They
| create a net drag on the commercial software industry. Microsoft has the
| largest loses of any company in the software patent wars and they are the
| logical commercial candidate to lobby for the abolition of software patents.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2009-05-05-014-35-NW-RH-LL-0000

Red Hat VP explains software patent threat at Linux Expo

,----[ Quote ]
| Rob Tiller, Vice President and Assistant General Counsel at Red Hat,
| explained the need for patent reform and discussed the implications of the
| recent Bilski decision during a presentation on Saturday at the Southern
| Cailfornia Linux Expo (SCALE).
|
| The patent system, which was originally conceived as an instrument for
| promoting progress by encouraging disclosure of inventions, is poorly suited
| to accommodate the complexities of modern innovation. The Patent Office isn't
| equipped to process the rapidly growing volume of technical patent filings
| and the boundaries of patentability aren't drawn clearly enough to block
| excessively broad patents.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/02/ars-at-scale-red-hat-vp-explains-software-patent-threat.ars

Related:

Red Hat Asks Federal Court To Limit Patents On Software

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.press.redhat.com/2008/04/07/red-hat-asks-federal-court-to-limit-patents-on-software/