Re: Dell Latitude Z Review.

____/ ZnU on Sunday 04 Oct 2009 03:51 : \____

> In article <1274147.kT8p0MMh6R@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>  Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> ____/ nessuno on Saturday 03 Oct 2009 00:51 : \____

>> > The popularity of the iPhone and other mobile devices that don't use
>> > Windows is going to help convince people that if it's not Windows it's
>> > nothing to be afraid of.  The instant on is really a draw.
>
> OK, I get the hypothetical appeal of tiny supper-efficient ARM netbooks.
> I don't think the market will be all that enthusiastic about them, but I
> get the idea.
>
> The idea of essentially sticking a second computer in your full sized
> laptop just to save a little battery power, though, really seems like a
> solution in search of a problem.
>
>> Tell people that iPhone is UNIX, "kind of like Linux".
>>
>> iPhone was actually going to run Linux before Jobs rejected the idea.
>
> Does not compute. The iPhone relies heavily on OS X technologies like
> Cocoa. What reason would Apple have had to port those technologies to
> Linux, when they already run on a *nix-like system that Apple has
> extensive in-house expertise with?

The Apple engineers might be able to answer this question. Reports suggest
they preferred Linux at first, but it was GPL (Jobs doesn't like that).

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

Q. what do you get whan you cross a tsetse with a mountain climber?
A. nothing, you can't cross a vector with a scalar.
roy      pts/0        :0               Sat Oct  3 00:47   still logged in