[News] Next Linux (2.6.32) Leaps Faster Towards Release

  • Subject: [News] Next Linux (2.6.32) Leaps Faster Towards Release
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 12:01:11 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Linux 2.6.32-rc3 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| Or not "entirely". As too many people pointed out, I had
| been somewhat less than careful, and the 2.6.32-rc1 release
| actually called itself -rc2 in the Makefile. As a result, I
| don't want to make a 2.6.32-rc2 release, since any bug-
| reports etc would then be met with the inevitable
| confusion: do you mean -rc2 as in the Makefile (ie really -
| rc1) or -rc2 as in the tagged release.
`----

http://www.linux.com/news/software/linux-kernel/103937-linux-2632-rc3-released

Linux 2.6.32-rc3 Kernel Released, No -rc2

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzU4Mw

Recent:

Kernel Log - Main development phase of Linux 2.6.32 completed

,----[ Quote ]
| With the first release candidate of Linux 2.6.32, last
| night, Linus Torvalds completed the main development
| phase of the next version of Linux on the main
| development branch. As the kernel hackers already
| integrate most of a new kernel version's major changes
| into the source code management system during this
| phase, called the merge window, 2.6.32-rc1 is already
| a good indicator of the most important new features
| due for release with Linux 2.6.32 in early December.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/Kernel-Log-Main-development-phase-of-Linux-2-6-32-completed--/news/114340

Linux 2.6.32-rc1

,----[ Quote ]
| It's been two weeks (and then some - but with last
| week being LinuxCon and  Plumbers conf I extended it
| by a few days), and as usual that means that the merge
| window is all over and done with. 2.6.32-rc1 is out,
| so give it a whirl.
`----

http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/9/27/166

Kernel Log - Devtmpfs in 2.6.32, more discussion about DRBD, new stable kernels

,----[ Quote ]
| The development of Linux 2.6.32 is in full swing â
| although the integration of devtmpfs into the main
| development branch has caused considerable friction.
| The integration of DRBD, which already seemed certain,
| is also being debated again. X Server 7.5 is making
| progress as the developers release the first RC and
| several new drivers.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/Kernel-Log-Devtmpfs-in-2-6-32-more-discussion-about-DRBD-new-stable-kernels--/news/114284

DRM Changes For Linux 2.6.32 Kernel

,----[ Quote ]
| David Airlie has just called for the first DRM pull
| request for the Linux 2.6.32 kernel. To no surprise,
| R600/700 3D support can be found within the Direct
| Rendering Manager code as with kernel mode-setting
| support for these newer ATI Radeon graphics cards.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzU0Nw

KVM Virtualization Performance With Linux 2.6.31

,----[Quote  ]
| These test results are designed to give just a basic
| overview of the level of KVM virtualization performance
| in different areas. Eventually we will run a larger set
| of tests across different virtualization
| infrastructures.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_2631_kvm&num=1

Linux kernel 2.6.32: virtualization, power management and more drivers

,----[ Quote ]
| Less than a week after Linux kernel 2.6.31 was released, the kernel
| developers are beginning to submit changes and improvements across
| virtualization, power management, file systems and device driver
| code for the upcoming 2.6.32 version.
|
| When releasing the 2.6.31 kernel, maintainer Linus Torvalds said
| the amount of device driver code has been steadily increasing since
| 2.6.27, but 2.6.32 will continue to aggressively add in bug fixes
| and performance enhancements across the entire code base.
`----

http://www.cio.com.au/article/318781/linux_kernel_2_6_32_virtualization_power_management_more_drivers

New, Updated Drivers Coming To Linux 2.6.32

,----[ Quote ]
| Over three dozen Linux staging drivers are mentioned, but there's a few
| interesting comments in particular. For instance, Google's Android drivers
| may end up being dropped from the staging tree within the Linux 2.6.32
| cycle. While Android uses Linux and Google is quite friendly with Linux
| and different open-source projects, the developers working on the upstream
| Android drivers aren't caring whether or not this code enters the mainline
| kernel. Instead these developers are just concerning themselves with
| running the drivers on the Linux 2.6.29 kernel they currently are using.
| If this continues to occur, the Android drivers will disappear from the
| staging tree. In a similar situation, Microsoft's Hyper-V drivers may end
| up getting dropped in the Linux 2.6.33 release.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzUxOQ

Linux 2.6.32 To Get R600 KMS Along With 3D

,----[ Quote ]
| Additionally, this code provides firmware loading support for the
| r128/mga/radeon + Radeon KMS drivers, the latest Intel drm-next code, Radeon
| R100/200 KMS command stream checking, Radeon KMS TV-Out support, merged FB
| handling for all KMS drivers, and DMT timings + better HDMI EDID decoding.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzUxNgx

KMS Page-Flipping Ioctl Ready For Linux 2.6.32

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzQ2MQ