[News] Firefox Becomes a Powerful Video Viewer

  • Subject: [News] Firefox Becomes a Powerful Video Viewer
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 12:15:25 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Watch YouTube Videos in Cinema Style in Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| Do you like watching lots of videos at YouTube but are
| tired of the small video size and abundant background
| clutter? Now you can enjoy watching those videos in
| cinema style with a simple Firefox extension.
`----

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4679/watch-youtube-videos-in-cinema-style-in-firefox/

Firefox 3.6 Aims to Bring Fullscreen, Open Source Video to the Web

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla is pushing ahead with its open video support in
| the Firefox web browser. Current developer builds of
| Firefox 3.6, expected to arrive later this year, now
| include a fullscreen option for movies embedded using
| the HTML5 video tag.
`----

http://www.webmonkey.com/blog/Firefox_3DOT6_Aims_to_Bring_Fullscreen__Open_Source_Video_to_the_Web

Recent:

Why open video?

,----[ Quote ]
| Thereâs one exception to this: video on the web.  Although videos are
| available on the web via sites like youtube, they donât share the same
| democratized characteristics that have made the web vibrant and distributed.
| And it shows.  That centralization has created some interesting problems that
| have symptoms like censorship via abuse of the DMCA and an
| overly-concentrated audience on a few sites that have the resources and
| technology to host video.  I believe that problems like the ones we see with
| youtube are a symptom of the larger problem of the lack of decentralization
| and competition in video technology - very different than where the rest of
| the web is today.
|
| In my mind there are two things that help drive that kind of
| decentralization:
|
|     * You should be able to easily understand how something moves from a
|     computer-readable format to something that is presented to a user.  For
|     example, turning HTML into a document, turning a JPEG file into a picture
|     on the screen or using HTTP to download a file.
|     * You must be able to implement and deliver that technology without
|     requiring anyoneâs permission or license.  In reality this means that it
|     should be available on a royalty-free basis and without encumbered
|     documentation.
`----

http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=977

Five Microblogging Extensions For Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/five-microblogging-extensions-for-firefox