[News] Slackware GNU/Linux 13.0 in Review

Slackware Linux 13.0 - the oldest Linux distro gets a major overhaul

,----[ Quote ]
| Slackware 13.0 remains very much old school Linux. Despite
| some clear improvements in the new version, particularly in
| the area of wireless support, Slackware is still best
| suited to advanced Linux users who know what they are doing
| and are comfortable at the command line - despite claims to
| the contrary on the official website. The only newcomers to
| Linux who should consider Slackware are those who wish to
| really learn how Linux works under the hood and are ready
| to roll up their sleeves. If that's your goal, to learn how
| things work, then you'd be hard pressed to do better than
| Slackware.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20091005#feature

Recent:

Slackware Package Management

,----[ Quote ]
| Slackware is a good, solid, reliable distro.  These new
| package management utilities make it even better.
`----

http://beginlinux.com/desktop_training/168-slackware/1427-slackware-package-management

lackware Linux 13.0 Released (and Installed)

,----[ Quote ]
| Experienced Linux administrators are likely to feel "right at home" with the
| installation process - I certainly did. Just about everything is there,
| presented clearly for your selection. It took me about an hour to get it
| installed on MMS. The only significant stumble was that Slackware uses the
| LILO bootloader, which I choose not to use, but even that wasn't a major
| problem for me because I have to keep the openSolaris GRUB as the bootloader
| anyway, so I just told it to skip the LILO installation, and added Slackware
| to the openSolaris GRUB configuration file manually.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10013671o-2000498448b,00.htm

Slackware 13.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Slackware has always been a distro that Iâm not terribly fond of. I donât
| like how difficult it is to set things up. This isnât because I particularly
| mind editing config files, its because I want to be doing it on my terms and
| not because I have to.
`----

http://blog.jjtcomputing.co.uk/2009/09/02/slackware-13-0/

Slackware 13.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Discounting the resolution problem, Slack 13 didn't give me any trouble to
| speak of. The absence of any sort of automated software handler on the level
| of Apt or Yum keeps me from using it as a daily desktop, but that might not
| be a problem for some.
`----

http://www.techiemoe.com/tech/slack13.htm

Interview with Eric Hameleers: Why You Should Try Slackware

,----[ Quote ]
| The popular distribution has just announced the availability of version 13.0,
| its latest release. There are many improvements in this release, including
| the major upgrade from KDE 3.x to 4.x, however perhaps the biggest is an
| official port to 64-bit. Thatâs right, Slackware, one of the very first Linux
| distributions, is one of the last to go 64-bit. What has taken so long to do
| so?
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7502/1.html

Slackware goes 64-bit

,----[ Quote ]
| The new version jumps on the 64-bit bandwagon with native support for the
| 64-bit x86_64 architecture. It also adopts the 2.6.29.6 kernel, bringing
| journaling filesystems, SCSI and ATA RAID volume support, SATA support,
| Software RAID, LVM (Logical Volume Manager), GRUB, Ext4, and encrypted
| filesystems support to the distro. The new kernel also supports X DRI (Direct
| Rendering Interface) for hardware-based 3D graphics acceleration, says the
| Slackware project.

Slackware 13.0 RC2 Brings Updated X Server and Video Drivers

,----[ Quote ]
| A few hours ago Slackware's creator, Patrick Volkerding, announced that the
| second release candidate of the upcoming Slackware 13.0 Linux distribution
| was available for download. This update brings numerous new base packages,
| like the Linux kernel version 2.6.29.6, X.Org Server 1.6.3 and the K Desktop
| Environment 4.2.4. However, there are no official ISO builds for this
| release, but those interested in testing Slackware 13.0 RC2 can get it by
| using the link at the end of the article.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Slackware-13-0-RC2-Brings-Updated-X-Server-and-Video-Drivers-118559.shtml

Slackware Linux going 64 bit

,----[ Quote ]
| This might be old news to some of you but for the longest time Slackware
| Linux was x86 only with really no indication that the distro author, Patrick
| Volkerding, would create a port.
`----

http://www.ninjalane.com/newspost4459.aspx

Five Reasons I Prefer Slackware Over Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Really, when I thought about doing this I wondered if I could come up with
| five reasons but now Iâm sure I could go on much longer. Slackware is the
| oldest existing Linux distribution and it didnât get to being around this
| long by being sub par. Thereâs a general consensus that the post install
| configuration of Slackware may be a bit too challenging for beginners, but I
| think anyone who can read a copy of the Slackbook and use a Slackware forum
| if need be would be able to do it. Believe me, itâs worth the initial effort
| and like Trent of the Linux Critic says-once you go slack, you never go back.
`----

http://fullmetalgerbil.com/2009/06/26/five-reasons-i-prefer-slackware-over-ubuntu/

[Slackware 13.0 Released]

,----[ Quote ]