[News] Allowing People to Access Public Material Now Seen as Criminal

  • Subject: [News] Allowing People to Access Public Material Now Seen as Criminal
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 23:31:57 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

FBI Investigated Coder for Liberating Paywalled Court Records

,----[ Quote ]
| When 22-year-old programmer Aaron Swartz decided last
| fall to help an open-government activist amass a public
| and free copy of millions of federal court records, he
| did not expect heâd end up with an FBI agent trying to
| stake out his house.
|
| [...]
|
| âI think its pretty silly they go after people who use
| the library to try to get access to public court
| documents,â Swartz said. âIt is pretty silly that
| instead of calling me up, they sent an FBI agent to my
| house.â
`----

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/10/swartz-fbi/

Recent:

Official Word from US Courts -- Feel Free to Use RECAP With Our Blessing

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://pubcit.typepad.com/clpblog/2009/08/official-word-from-us-courts-feel-free-to-use-recap-with-our-blessing.html