[News] Palm Continues Fighting with Apple Over Interoperability

  • Subject: [News] Palm Continues Fighting with Apple Over Interoperability
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 12:32:21 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Palm Pre re-re-introduces iTunes synchronization

,----[ Quote ]
| The company also tried to get the USB
| Implementers Forum to rule that Apple was
| unfairly locking the Pre out of iTunes, but
| the industry group sided with Apple's position
| instead.
|
| When Palm released webOS 1.2 without iTunes
| syncing, we thought perhaps the company had
| given up. But it seems Palm was just busy
| finding a work-around to Apple's proprietary
| locks.
|
| Barring some unforeseen and extremely unlikely
| change of heart for Apple, it's only a matter
| of time before the Pre's compatibility with
| iTunes is once again shut down. It's a losing
| battle to be sure.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/05/palm_pre_re_re_introduces_itunes_syncing/

Recent:

Palm: open-source webOS apps free to make

,----[ Quote ]
| Palm at a special event tonight staked out its
| differences with Apple by making key changes to its
| developer program. The smartphone developer is one of
| the first after Google to foster open development and
| said it will dismiss its usual $99 app submission fee
| for any developer whose webOS apps are open-source. Back
| end data on app downloads and other sales info will also
| be available to all developers on request.
`----

http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/10/05/palm.spurs.open.source.apps.web.downloads/

Palm launch Open Source Developer Program

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/Palm-launch-Open-Source-Developer-Program--/news/114398