[News] Viacom Mafioso Wants to Shoot Down Whole of YouTube with Frivolous Lawsuits

  • Subject: [News] Viacom Mafioso Wants to Shoot Down Whole of YouTube with Frivolous Lawsuits
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 23:05:27 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Viacom thinks it has found a smoking gun

,----[ Quote ]
| Viacom is suing Youtube for a billion dollars and claims to
| have uncovered emails that allegedly proved employees of the
| video website were among those who uploaded unauthorised
| content.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1557661/viacom-smoking-gun

Recent:

The importance of the Veoh decision

,----[ Quote ]
| Needless to say, Googleâs lawyers are happy. They now have a precedent to hit
| Viacom over the head with.
|
| Is an end to the copyright wars finally in sight? It could be.
|
| With music companies now looking to take down their encryption walls because
| they only benefitted Apple, and with a well-reasoned decision for video safe
| harbor in hand, we might have digital peace in our time.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2833

Viacom 'backs off' YouTube demand

,----[ Quote ]
| "We are pleased to report that Viacom, MTV and other litigants have backed
| off their original demand for all users' viewing histories and we will not be
| providing that information," said a statement on the YouTube blog.
|
| The decision will be welcomed by privacy activists, many of whom expressed
| concern over a US judge's order for Google to provide the data in early July.

Radiohead video released on Google

,----[ Quote ]
| The video, which was made without cameras or lights, used two new tecnologies
| to capture the trippy, esoteric 3D images. A Geometric Informatics scanning
| system produced structured light to capture 3D images at close proximity,
| while a Velodyne Lidar system that uses multiple lasers was used to capture
| large environments such as landscapes.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/15/radiohead-video-released-google

Marc Andreessen To Big, Old Media: You're Screwed

,----[ Quote ]
| In a morning panel session titled âLooking Around the Corner to the Futureâ â
| which, like all meetings here are closed to the press â Mr. Andreessen told
| the audience, which included many executives from the so-called âold mediaâ
| world, that non-digital businesses are toast.
|
| âHe said, âIf you have old media, you should sell,ââ according to one
| attendee, who spoke anonymously because the sessions are off-the-record. âIf
| you own newspapers, sell. If you own TV stations, sell. If you own a movie
| studio, sell.â
`----

http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/7/marc-andreessen-to-big-old-media-you-re-screwed

Lawyers For âImposterâ P2P Software Threaten Open-Source Team

,----[ Quote ]
| A company trying to pass itself off as vendors of the open-source
| file-sharing software Shareaza, has set the legal dogs on the real Shareaza
| forum. Discordia Ltd, who earlier turned Bearshare and iMesh into pay
| services, demanded action after a member of the real Shareaza forum suggested
| a DOS attack on the site.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/shareaza-imposter-lawyers-threaten-forum-080225/

Related:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5jkZFIwmc-8

Lessig: Required Reading: the next 10 years

,----[ Quote ]
| Yet governments continue to push ahead with this idiot idea -- both Britain
| and Japan for example are considering extending existing terms. Why?
|
| The answer is a kind of corruption of the political process. Or better,
| a "corruption" of the political process. I don't mean corruption in the
| simple sense of bribery. I mean "corruption" in the sense that the
| system is so queered by the influence of money that it can't even get
| an issue as simple and clear as term extension right.
`----

http://www.lessig.org/blog/archives/003800.shtml#003800

RIAA, MPAA urge pro-copyright vows from presidential candidates

,----[ Quote ]
| One question, for instance, asks: "How would you promote the progress of
| science and creativity, as enumerated in the U.S. Constitution, by upholding
| and strengthening copyright law and preventing its diminishment?"
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9821141-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Is Sarko Uxorious?

,----[ Quote ]
| What this neglects to take into account is the fact that falling into the
| public domain is a gain for the public - and hence the actual moment when it
| becomes part of the "national pop heritage" - and that the gain vastly
| outweighs any minimal effect it has on ageing rockers' royalties.
| Unfortunately, with this action, as with others (including the "three strikes
| and you're out" approach to fighting filesharing), Sarkozy shows himself to
| be an old man - however young his new wife may be.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/02/is-sarko-uxorious.html

Microsoft sued by Beijing student for privacy infringement

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-09/13/content_6718045.htm