[News] New Free Software Success Stories in Business (NYT on GPL) and Suggestions

  • Subject: [News] New Free Software Success Stories in Business (NYT on GPL) and Suggestions
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 18:53:21 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The New York Times's Open Source Project

,----[ Quote ]
| Newspapers are either a dying breed or a changing
| breed, depending on who you talk to. The New York
| Times wants to adapt, not go extinct, and one of the
| little ways they're adapting involves a software tool
| they're releasing as an open-source application for
| their fellow news organizations -- or anyone else,
| really.
|
| [...]
|
| That's all going to depend entirely on what kind of
| licensing the Times uses to release this thing. If
| they use a license model which allows people to keep
| changes to themselves (e.g., GPLv2), then guess what
| -- people aren't going to hesitate to do so, and
| they're going to have no one to blame but themselves.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2009/10/the_new_york_ti_2.html;jsessionid=5GAH4DZO1Y2PHQE1GHPCKH4ATMY32JVN

Open source based in co-dependence

,----[ Quote ]
| Karen Copenhaver, a partner at Choate Hall & Stewart
| LLP, and one of Mass High Techâs 2008 All-Stars, is
| an expert on technology licensing, particularly in
| software licensing and open source. Recently she
| spoke with Rodney Brown about open source as a
| business model, where it came from and where it is
| headed.
`----

http://www.masshightech.com/stories/2009/10/05/weekly1-Open-source-based-in-co-dependence.html

RIM needs more open source

,----[ Quote ]
| I've blogged about building native mobile device
| applications using a Web technology-based
| framework such as PhoneGap from Nitobi in the
| past. When I first wrote about the open source
| PhoneGap project in March 2009, I concluded: "If I
| worked at RIM, I'd take a trip out to Vancouver to
| talk to the Nitobi dudes. This framework is
| exactly what RIM needs to counter the trend of
| developers targeting the iPhone/iPod as the
| premier environment for mobile device
| applications."
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source/rim-needs-more-open-source-837

Recent:

New York Times Releasing Open Source Document Viewer

,----[ Quote ]
| The New York Times has announced plans to release the next
| version of its Document Viewer under an open source license.
| The new viewer will be ready for launch in a few weeks and
| offers users interactive tools for annotating pages to share
| with others.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/new-york-times-releasing-open-source-document-viewer

ONA 09: NY Times to Release Open-Source Document Viewer in 'Weeks'

,----[ Quote ]
| On the other, the Times expects that other organizations that
| use the tool will build new functionality on top the Times'
| code and then, in true open source spirit, share their
| enhancements back so that all organizations using of the
| Document Viewer will benefit.
`----

http://www.mediabistro.com/baynewser/conferences_panels/ona_09_ny_times_to_release_opensource_document_viewer_in_weeks_138725.asp

What's the New York Times doing with Hadoop?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source/whats-new-york-times-doing-hadoop-392