Re: [News] Linux Radio Ads Called a "Success"

____/ Homer on Friday 09 Oct 2009 00:15 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that JEDIDIAH spake thusly:
>> On 2009-10-07, Ezekiel <not-zeke@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> "Moshe Goldfarb" <moshegoldfarb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>>> Evidently "advertising" is only evil when Apple or MS runs ads.
>>> When Linux advertises it's suddenly successful and good.
>
> Are you really that stupid?
>
> Clue: Can you spot the difference between Global advertising kitchen
> knives, and some gangster advertising switch-blades?
>
> It's not the advertising, it's the advertiser, and his product.
>
> Microsoft advertises. In itself, this means nothing, until you consider
> that Microsoft are corporate gangsters selling selling a weapon of mass
> destruction (racketeers running the Windows monopoly).
>
> Advertising isn't "evil", Microsoft is.
>
>> You are pulling stuff from your nether-regions again.
>
> He understands perfectly well. He's just astroturfing.

Actually, advertising too can be evil. Depends on how it's done and /what/ it advertises.

How about AstroTurf sites of Texaco promoting CO2 emissions? Both the "how" and the
"what" are negative.

Marketing is a meta-industry, much like banking and law firms. They deserve to vanish
or diminish very significantly. They are industries that address problems that
they themselves create (See USPTO for example and consider the fact that one marketing
camp merely counters another... like a war between two armies, which makes only casualties).

Then you have the externalities to take account of.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Vista: as the reputation of "Longhorn" was mucked