[News] Why Many People Already Use Linux Computers

  • Subject: [News] Why Many People Already Use Linux Computers
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 11:20:57 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Embedded Linux â Are you already a Linux user?

,----[ Quote ]
| For example I recently bought a TomTom Sat Nav GO
| 730. There is nothing on the device to indicate
| itâs Linux, there are no Linux messages during
| start-up, but behind the scenes TomTom Sat Navs are
| running on the Linux kernel. To a lesser extent
| some of the Garmin products also use Linux.
|
| Then there are the hidden technology devices,
| such as: routers, media streamers and network
| based storage devices. Or mobile phones such as
| the Nokia N900 Mobile Phone which uses the Linux
| Maemo platform. Some media players also use
| embedded linux.
|
| There are also a new range of devices which are
| too expensive to become mainstream except by
| using the Linux operating system. This includes
| the Kindle Wireless Reading Device, an ebook
| reader. [If you are from the UK - you can
| currently only buy from the Amazon US website -
| UK buyers can now use your existing Amazon.co.uk
| account using Amazon.com].
|
| Why is embedded Linux so popular?
|
| The reason for the popularity comes down to a
| number of factors made possible through the free
| / open source software model.
`----

http://www.watkissonline.co.uk/wordpress/?p=2123

"Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to
everything it touches."

                --Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO

Ballmer is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to
everything he touches.

	    --GNU/Linux

Related:

Four billion embedded systems shipped in '06