[News] More Censorship and Abuse on the Web

Beck Tries to Kill Parody Website

,----[ Quote ]
| I don't know if you've ever seen the Did Glenn
| Beck Rape and Murder a Young Girl in 1990
| website, but it's fairly amusing. It's a
| political satire of the style of argument Glenn
| Beck likes to engage in, which involves requiring
| that someone prove a negative ("prove you didn't
| do X") and making claims in the form of an
| interrogative ("Hey, I'm just asking questions
| here. I'm not saying he did this. What's wrong
| with asking questions?").
`----

http://scienceblogs.com/dispatches/2009/10/beck_tries_to_kill_parody_webs.php

Q&A: Worldwide surveillance and filtering

,----[ Quote ]
| Rafal Rohozinski is a founder and principal
| investigator of the Information Warfare Monitor
| and the OpenNet Initiative, where he directs a
| network of field-based staff in Asia, the CIS and
| Middle East. Rafal has 18 years of field-based
| experience working in an operational and advisory
| capacity in 37 countries. In 2005-2006, Rafal
| served as an embedded Chief Technical Advisor to
| the Palestinian Authority.
`----

http://www.net-security.org/article.php?id=1314

Recent:

Senator Orrin Hatch... And The Lies The Copyright Industry Tells

,----[ Quote ]
| In my last post, I walked through the misleading or outright false arguments
| by Rep. Wexler in defense of stronger copyrights. At the same event, Senator
| Orrin Hatch also spoke, and it's worth responding to him as well.
|
|     You in this room are the artists, the innovators, and leaders of the
|     world copyright industry. Not only do your artistic works continue to
|     encourage the creation of new works that inspire and delight us, but also
|     your industry is one of the few that consistently generates a positive
|     balance of trade.
|
| This assumes, incorrectly, that copyright is the sole reason for the creation
| of artistic works or that positive balance of trade. The evidence suggests
| otherwise. There are many reasons why people create. Some have nothing to do
| with monetary incentive -- but even those that do have found that "copyright"
| is not the only way to make money, and, in fact may not be the best way to
| make money. Yet, those who do creative things are often limited by copyright.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090612/1235555213.shtml

Once Again, Before Sending A DMCA Takedown, It Helps To Actually Own The
Content

,----[ Quote ]
| But, basically, someone used a video to respond to a guy from the Discovery
| Institute concerning a recent appearance he made on Fox News. The Fox News
| video is Fox's copyright. Yet, the Discovery Institute sent the takedown
| notice. Furthermore, the use of the video (even if Fox had sent the takedown)
| is almost certainly fair use. It was used for commentary in a non-commercial
| manner.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090612/1251365214.shtml

DMCA Coupon Flap Ends â Nobody 'Won'