[News] Novell Tries to Sell Customised Ballnux

  • Subject: [News] Novell Tries to Sell Customised Ballnux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 12:04:07 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Half a million reasons to like SUSE Studio

,----[ Quote ]
| Back in August this year we launched SUSE Studio,
| a new product designed to make it very easy to
| build, test and deploy full-functional software
| appliances using Linux. SUSE Studio earned strong
| support from the ISV community and in the days
| following the launch new users were signing on at
| the astonishing rate of more than one a minute.
`----

http://www.novell.com/prblogs/?p=1370

SUSE Studio - Make your own Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm very pleased with the Studio. It's Kiwi,
| simplified, polished and made available to the
| masses. A truly great step in the right
| direction.
`----

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/suse-studio.html

SuSE Studio TestDrive: Slightly Customizing an Linux OpenSuSE 11.1

,----[ Quote ]
| One of strengths of GNU/Linux is the proportional
| degree of freedom that enables the user to modify
| or recreate key components of the operating
| system. On Sept. 24, 2009 I attended the Intel
| Developer Forum (IDF), at the Moscone Center in
| San Francisco, California. During the morning
| lunch, informally chatting with an Intel employee
| who claimed to be involved in his organization's
| efforts in compiler development, I refuted his
| assertion that the multiplicity of GNU/Linux
| distributions was detrimental to the operating
| system commercial support.
`----

http://www.metztli-it.com/blog/index.php/2009/10/08/taking-suse-studio-for-a-slightly-custom?blog=4

Recent:

Use SUSE Studio to Build a Linux OS From Scratch

,----[ Quote ]
| SUSE Studio is what powered the fan-made "Chrome OS" we
| posted yesterday, which, in that case, was a semi-
| stripped-down system loaded with the developers' version
| of Chrome, Google webapp links, and OpenOffice. If speed
| and cloud computing aren't your bag, you can create a
| fully functional system with Firefox, 3D graphics, and
| whatever apps you can find installed. Want your system to
| start up with an AWN dock and Launchy keystroke launcher
| running? Not a problem.
`----

http://lifehacker.com/5370209/use-suse-studio-to-build-a-linux-os-from-scratch

SUSE Studio: Too Good To Be True?

,----[ Quote ]
| I just built my own Linux distribution through my browser. It can be ran as a
| Live CD or installed on your system. No, you did read that correctly. I
| actually used Firefox to build my own SUSE-based distro. Sometimes technology
| throws curveballs at us that are so unbelievable youâd have to read the
| statement several times to realize that you arenât hallucinating. Do you
| think Iâm writing a piece of science fiction? Enter SUSE Studio.
`----

http://www.itnewstoday.com/?p=766

Hands on with SUSE Studio

,----[ Quote ]
| A Novell employee once told us that, in yesteryear when Novell's marketing
| team were pushing brands faster than their coders were pushing software,
| Novell could easily have switched over to being a T-shirt manufacturing
| company. It seems their love of marketing hasn't died out, because TuxRadar
| HQ recently accepted delivery of a suspicious box. Upon opening it, we found
| this:
|
| Inside was a bag containing dozens of different parts, some plastic, others
| carefully cut foam. Next to that was a card pointing us towards the assembly
| instructions and, 10 minutes or so later, we were the, er, proud owners of
| one of these:
|
| Great success! And even more fun than building a distro with SUSE Studio...
`----

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/hands-suse-studio

REVIEW: SUSE Studio Is a Boon for Organizations Using Novell's Linux Distros

,----[ Quote ]
| SUSE Studio is a Web-based service for creating software appliances on
| Novell's family of SUSE Linux-based operating systems. SUSE Studio could
| prove very useful for any individual or organization that uses Novell's Linux
| distributions by easing complex customization tasks.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/REVIEW-SUSE-Studio-Is-a-Boon-for-Organizations-Using-Novells-Linux-Distros-682485/

SUSE Studio: The Do-it-Yourself Linux

,----[ Quote ]