[News] Linux-based Nokia N900 Accumulates Feedback, Keeps Stack Open

  • Subject: [News] Linux-based Nokia N900 Accumulates Feedback, Keeps Stack Open
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 10:13:30 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

What extra functionality would you most like to see in the Nokia N900?

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday we posted a story calling for
| your suggestions on what we should do
| with the N900 when we finally get hold of
| ours. The response has been overwhelming
| â in less than 24 hours over 80 of you
| have shared your ideas, leaving heaps of
| smart suggestions (read them all here),
| and theyâre still flooding in.
`----

http://conversations.nokia.com/2009/10/08/what-extra-functionality-would-you-most-like-to-see-in-the-nokia-n900/

Nokia bolsters Memo Linux OS with Qt port

,----[ Quote ]
| Finnish handset vendor Nokia pressed on
| with development of its in house Linux
| platform on Friday, porting its cross
| platform application and user interface
| framework â Qt - to Maemo 5.
`----

http://www.telecoms.com/15129/nokia-bolsters-memo-linux-os-with-qt-port

Nokia N900 operating system gets official Qt port

,----[ Quote ]
| Applications created for Nokia's N900
| smartphone will be easier to port to
| future versions of the company's Maemo
| Linux operating system as well as to
| Symbian and Windows Mobile, after Nokia
| officially ported its Qt graphical
| toolkit to Maemo 5.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/0,1000000085,39798344,00.htm

Nokia (officially) ports Qt to Maemo 5

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/09/nokia_port_qt_to_maemo5/

The Nokia N900 â Not just an iToy, but a lot more fun

,----[ Quote ]
| So, what does the N900 offer for
| developers? Freedom! Yes, the N900 is a
| heaven for coding artists. For example,
| with the N900 developers have open access
| to device hardware, and you can talk
| about it (as opposed to the iPhone
| developers). This means that, as with
| desktop Linux, you can expect lots of
| deep coding information for Maemo (the
| N900âs version of Linux) freely available
| trough the web. The N900 out of the box
| has support for more programming
| languages than any other mobile platform,
| and there are surely more to come.
| Already, you can write applications in C,
| C++, Python, etc. For the GUI layer you
| can use either GTK or Qt, the two most
| popular GUI tool-kits in Linux.
`----

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/2009/10/09/nokian900-not-just-an-itoy/

Recent:

Hands On Nokia N900 smartphone demo

,----[ Quote ]
| We managed to get a little quality time with the
| Nokia N900 smartphone running Maemo and Linux. This
| smartphone, sporting killer specs and 3G HSDPA for T-
| Mobile US and Europe should begin shipping in the
| next few weeks. Notice how quick the device is when
| switching between desktop screens and applications--
| the multitasking is very impressive thanks to 256
| megs of RAM and virtual memory that brings it up to 1
| gig of application RAM.
`----

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=34817

Nokia N900 â Top of the Hacks

,----[ Quote ]
| Push N900 invites hackers, mods, creatives, and coders to push
| the Linux powered N900 to its limits and if you havenât
| already begun creating your masterpiece you should probably
| get cracking, as the competition, in which you can get your
| hands on a Nokia N900 and funding to realise your designs,
| ends on the 11th October.
`----

http://noknok.tv/2009/10/05/nokia-n900-top-of-the-hacks/

Nokia N900 Gets Full Review