[News] Six Apart Forced to Accept Free Software in TypePad, MonitoringForge Grows Fast

  • Subject: [News] Six Apart Forced to Accept Free Software in TypePad, MonitoringForge Grows Fast
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 10:25:54 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Six Apart Announces TypePad Platform and TypePad Developer Program
for Building Social Applications

,----[ Quote ]
| Six Apart, the world's leading blogging
| software and services company, today
| announced that it is opening up the
| TypePad Platform to developers for the
| quick and easy development of social
| applications that make use of TypePad's
| smart cloud and API. By using the TypePad
| Platform, developers can run a social app
| on a single web server, leaving the
| storage, infrastructure and organization
| of social graph data and social objects
| to the TypePad cloud.
`----

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Six-Apart-1053427.html

MonitoringForge.org Reaches 1,000 Registrants After First Week in
Beta, Opens Community Documentation for Better Monitoring Practices

,----[ Quote ]
| MonitoringForge
| (www.MonitoringForge.org), the epicenter
| of all open source projects that relate
| to IT monitoring, announces its 1,000th
| registered member in the first six days
| after the public launch of the beta Web
| site.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20090930005680&newsLang=en

Recent:

TypePad AntiSpam, A New Open Source Comment Spam Fighter

,----[ Quote ]
| TypePad AntiSpam is also open source, and anyone can download the source code
| and create their own spam tool based on it. Akismet isnât open source,
| although they have an API that allows developers to, among other things,
| develop additional integration tools for blogging platforms.
`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/05/29/typepad-antispam-a-new-open-source-comment-spam-fighter/

Related:

WordPress is Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Six Apart has recently decided that the best way to win back customers
| fleeing their platforms is to target WordPress, which is a new strategy they
| call competing. (What have they been doing the past 7 years?) A good example
| is this exchange between a commenter on Valleywag and Byrne Reese, the lead
| developer of Movable Type:
|
| Sundown: â@anildash: what part of Wordpress is not open source?â
|
| byrnereese: â@Sunnduwn - I think that is a question better asked of
| Automattic. Anil, and certainly not Six Apart, has never been briefed, nor
| has anyone for that matter been presented with an accounting of what is open
| and closed source at Automattic.â
|
| Okay, hereâs some accounting:
|
| WordPress is 100% open source, GPL.
|
| All plugins in the official directory are GPL or compatible, 100% open
| source.
|
| bbPress is 100% GPL.
|
| WordPress MU is 100% open source, GPL, and if you wanted you could take it
| and build your own hosted platform like WordPress.com, like edublogs.org has
| with over 100,000 blogs.
|
| There is more GPL stuff on the way, as well. :)
|
| Could you build Typepad or Vox with Movable Type? Probably not, especially
| since people with more than a few blogs or posts say it grinds to a halt, as
| Metblogs found before they switched to WordPress.
`----

http://ma.tt/2008/03/wordpress-is-open-source/

How The GPL Can Save Your Ass

,----[ Quote ]