[News] nuBuilder Chooses the GPLv3, "Open Core" Slammed, OSI Wants Scoring Method

  • Subject: [News] nuBuilder Chooses the GPLv3, "Open Core" Slammed, OSI Wants Scoring Method
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 10:38:26 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

[nuBuilder Released as Open Source]

,----[ Quote ]
| Our nuBuilder development tool has been
| so useful to us that we have now decided
| to release nuBuilder under the GPLv3 Open
| Source licence model.
`----

http://www.nubuilder.com/nubuilderwww/

Open Core: The worst of both worlds

,----[ Quote ]
| In the end open core software is driven
| by the same incentives as proprietary
| software is. Therefore it suffers from
| the same problems: too much focus on
| features and too little on quality.
| Thatâs the downside of proprietary
| software. But it also inherits the
| problems of open source software. Because
| of the open source community editions you
| have to worry about forks taking your
| customers (e.g. vtiger). To top it off
| they also need to compete against their
| own developer community who will
| reimplement the closed enterprise
| features as add-ons for the open source
| edition. This magnifies the problems
| caused by the feature treadmill and leads
| to a rapid decline in quality.
`----

http://www.jejik.com/articles/2009/10/open_core_the_worst_of_both_worlds/

Open Source Scorecard to be proposed to OSI

,----[ Quote ]
| Simon Phipps, an Open Source Initiative
| (OSI) Board Observer, is to propose that
| the organisation create an open source
| scorecard, which would allow projects and
| companies to be certified as attaining a
| score based on how free the project was.
| Phipps was considering the issue of
| distinguishing between open source
| projects and the various business models
| after debates about "open core" and "open
| source business models" at the Open World
| Forum 2009.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/Open-Source-Scorecard-to-be-proposed-to-OSI--/news/114433

Recent: