Re: Banking from the Desktop? Use GNU/Linux

____/ Vaughn Bode on Saturday 10 Oct 2009 19:07 : \____

> On Oct 10, 9:52 am, "Quantum Leaper" <lea...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> 7 wrote:

>> > dyn/content/discussion/2009/10/08/DI2009100801148.html

>> > The damage caused by windummies falling prey to windump
>> > security issues are widening.
>>
>> > Apparently you can now get paid legitimately from
>> > a hacked account and send the goods off.
>> > You however have to return the money when the fraud
>> > is found out.
>>
>> > Windump OS not only reducing your chances of doing
>> > banking without fraud, but affecting that of suppliers
>> > as well of getting paid without falling to fraud.
>>
>> > The banks and card companies should make concerted efforts
>> > to ban all windump PCs from logging into their systems or
>> > making payments. If they don't want to, and it can
>> > be proven in court they didn't have an active policy,
>> > then THEY should pay for all losses.
>>
>> You know most people who get they bank and other information stolen isn't
>> from Virus.  Its from Phishing and good old dumpster diving.   FBI chief is
>> barred from Online banking, by his wife not because his computer was taken
>> over by some nasty old windows virus,  but because he almost fell for a
>> common Phishing
>> scam.http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/08/fbi_robert_mueller_commonweal...
>>
>> Which is easier for the scam to write some virus or email some scam to a few
>> million suckers?
>
> Hi Quantum Leaper, you are conveniently leaving out the part that in
> order to send out email to a few million of your closest friends, you
> need a bot-net of Windows boxes that are infected by various virus.
> Writing the phishing text is the easy part.  But you knew that
> already.

The thing about botnets is, even if you find out where phishing mails come from (zombie), you don't
find the criminal. That's why zombie PCs are so much more harmful and there is also the factor which
is brute force. Then, there's E-mail harvesting which is enabled by hijacking PCs and reading
address books.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI"
Cpu(s): 22.6%us,  5.0%sy,  0.1%ni, 70.6%id,  1.3%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.4%si,  0.0%st