[News] Freedom/Openness Spreads to Embroidery, Journalism, Education, Science

  • Subject: [News] Freedom/Openness Spreads to Embroidery, Journalism, Education, Science
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 08:35:25 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

10/8: All Your Stitches Are Belong To Us: Open Source Embroidery

,----[ Quote ]
| GRANNY'S GONE GEEK: You've seen the
| complex and beautiful inside of a
| computer, but can you sew it? The Museum
| of Craft and Folk Art's latest exhibit,
| Open Source Embroidery,
`----

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/around-town/events/108--63738132.html

Students experiment with open source journalism

,----[ Quote ]
| This transparency not only makes the
| inclusion of the community simple, it
| makes the process of doing the story
| simple. No passwords, no central
| command-and-control. Instead we are
| creating an organic and open story
| development process that engages a
| community of people who can act as
| evangelists for our work. In the world
| of the social web that creates an
| expanding virtuous circle of network
| links and reposts that gives us access
| to expertise we would otherwise have
| missed.
`----

http://rabble.ca/columnists/2009/10/open-source-journalism

Free Education -- Sustaining Open-Source Curriculum?

,----[ Quote ]
| The open education movement is a new and
| exciting way to promote access to high
| quality educational content and to
| better engage teachers in using and
| developing curriculum. Truly, the
| movement has the potential to be a
| disruptive change to education and
| publishing. Yet when it comes to
| sustaining the movement, creative and
| as-yet unproven business models must be
| evolved and refined to keep the momentum
| going.
|
| Yes, FREE and open is inevitable.  How
| exactly FREE navigates the highly
| governed, deeply entrenched waters of
| education is a journey just starting to
| unfold.
`----

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-barbara-kurshan/free-education----sustain_b_313397.html

Science 2.0 - Time to Move Forward

,----[ Quote ]
| So why is that? It is often the job of service providers
| and manufacturers of scientific computing systems and
| applications to allow some user control over their systems.
| Or in the case of open source, to provide code access to
| developers. Open source is also one of the key success factors
| of web 2.0. How about if the users themselves customize scientific
| software architectures and built-in features to suite their
| specific needs? Or even better, design their own user interface
| for any given informatics and analytical applications. For
| example, creating their own functions, toolbars, data types
| and resource management tools. In other words, users utilize
| such applications to create their own applications.
`----

http://www.obbec.com/analysis/1063-computing-a-it/2799-science-20-time-to-move-forward

Recent:

State of New York's LaborForge Helps Agencies Collaborate

,----[ Quote ]
| As local and state operational budgets dwindle, many
| government agencies are turning to open source
| software to help manage workflow both internally and
| with other departments. As part of a Collaboration
| Initiative, The New York State Department of Labor
| launched LaborForge, a public repository designed
| specifically for sharing labor-related source code
| and design documents.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/state-of-new-yorks-laborforge-helps-agencies-collaborate

Clay Shirky: Let a thousand flowers bloom to replace newspapers; donât build a paywall around a public good

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.niemanlab.org/2009/09/clay-shirky-let-a-thousand-flowers-bloom-to-replace-newspapers-dont-build-a-paywall-around-a-public-good/