[News] [Rival] ECIS and Opera Oppose Microsoft's Deal in Europe

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] ECIS and Opera Oppose Microsoft's Deal in Europe
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 09:06:46 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft offer inadequate - industry group ECIS

,----[ Quote ]
| An improved offer by Microsoft (MSFT.O)
| to settle the antitrust concerns of
| European Union regulators fails to
| tackle many issues, industry group ECIS
| said on Wednesday.
|
| "ECIS notes that the settlement does not
| appear to deal with the inadequacies of
| Microsoft's standards compliance, unfair
| pricing practices or other concerns
| related to patent abuse or standards
| manipulation," the group said in a
| statement.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUSBRU01009020091007

Microsoft offer inadequate - industry group ECIS

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/afx/2009/10/07/afx6974695.html

Modest changes needed to Microsoft offer - Opera

,----[ Quote ]
| An improved offer by Microsoft (MSFT.O)
| to settle the antitrust concerns of
| European Union regulators needs to be
| tweaked to make it more effective,
| Norwegian browser maker Opera (OPERA.OL)
| said on Wednesday.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUSBRU01009120091007

Recent:

EU Commission Announces Market Test of Microsoft Suggestions on Browser Choice, Interoperability

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's Microsoft's statement, glowing with happiness that
| their two proposals, with some changes suggested in the
| last month or so by the EU Commission, have basically been
| adopted, if the test works out.
|
| [...]
|
| Privately enforced? Informal? Meaning we get to pay to sue | Microsoft? The EU Commission washes its hands regarding
| enforcement? I'm afraid that doesn't sound promising.
|
| [...]
|
| Famous last words. A trustful deal with Microsoft. Lordy.
| The problem isn't that they don't understand. Call me
| cynical, but I also don't believe she suddenly trusts
| Microsoft. On what basis? Microsoft's behavior for the
| last ten years in its dealing with the EU Commission? Puh
| lease.
|
| Ms. Kroes' five-year term ends in a month, unless it is
| renewed or extended.
|
| [...]
|
| We've already learned that it is not royalty-free. And I
| have a question. If you can't patent software as such in
| Europe, how come the EU Commission allows patent licenses
| for a fee in Europe?

FSFE appeals to European Commissioner Kroes in Microsoft antitrust case

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/FSFE-appeals-to-European-Commissioner-Kroes-in-Microsoft-antitrust-case--/news/114410