[News] What it Would Look Like When All Software is Free

  • Subject: [News] What it Would Look Like When All Software is Free
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 08:37:24 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The Situation Now (2019)

,----[ Quote ]
| This particular day was very important for Sam and
| the PSF, though.  It was the day they launched
| their âGNU/Linux Liesâ campaign in downtown
| Seattle, explaining to passer-byers why proprietary
| software is more ethical than Free Software.  The
| PSF had been facing greater difficulties ever since
| 2016, when the Closed Source Initiative was
| founded.  This organization focused only on the
| practical benefits of proprietary software.  Their
| stance was less powerful because it wasnât based on
| ethics and philosophy, yet it gained so much more
| momentum.  Instead of fighting for essential
| developer rights, the Closed Source Initiative
| advocated that companies cannot free their source
| code, because doing so loses them some business
| opportunities.  While closed source campaigns still
| helped the cause of the PSF, they defeated the
| point that developers should be able to do whatever
| they want with the software they create.
|
| Unfortunately, though the cause was ethical, Sam
| and the PSF could not seem to get much traction.
| Any traction that was made for proprietary software
| was made by the closed source movement, not the
| proprietary software movement.  It seemed that
| ethics didnât matter anymore.  The world was using
| this unethical âFree Softwareâ with no regards
| whatsoever for the rights of the developers.
`----

http://trombonechamp.wordpress.com/2009/10/10/the-situation-now-2019/

Linux Outlaws 115 - GNUbucks Coffee

,----[ Quote ]
| On this show, which has been massively delayed due
| to Fab being taken out by the flu, we talk about
| GNU Bucks, Alan Turing being nominated for
| knighthood, Linux saving an Aussie power company
| and we also get into a massive discussion about
| sexism in the community.
`----

http://linuxoutlaws.com/podcast/115

Recent:

What if microsoft were to go Open Source?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/what-if-microsoft-were-to-go-open-source-34453