[News] Linux Occupies Camera That Still Gets a Lot of press

  • Subject: [News] Linux Occupies Camera That Still Gets a Lot of press
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 09:12:49 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

'Frankencamera': A Giant Leap For Digital Photos?

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Levoy, these are just a couple of
| examples of how programmers could change the future
| of photography with the Frankencamera. The key is
| that the camera uses a Linux operating system. All
| digital cameras are essentially minicomputers, says
| Levoy, and they can be modified a bit by the
| photographer. But the manufacturer determines what
| features are available. Linux is "open source," which
| means the camera owner can change everything about
| the electronic guts.
`----

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=113692571

Techsol touch panel ships, marking 10 years of embedded ARM devices

,----[ Quote ]
| Techsol is shipping a Linux-ready "TPC-43B" 4.3-inch
| touch-panel PC equipped with its ARM-based Medallion
| CPU Module and Power-over-Ethernet support, and
| targeting building automation and factory HMI
| applications. Meanwhile, Techsol announced its tenth
| year of designing low-power computers based on a
| variety of low-power ARM-based embedded computers.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Techsol-TPC43B/?kc=rss

Recent:

Open source camera could pave the way for open source hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently a Techrepublic reader sent me a link to this story from Science Daily
| about a professor (Mark Levoy) of computer science at Stanford who is developing
| an open source camera. The article tells the story of a fledgling program,
| Computational Photography, which researches photography to help improve cameras.
| Mr. Levoy developed the camera so that other computational photographers could
| help improve the software.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=914

Frankencamera is open source, runs on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2009/09/04/frankencamera-is-open-source-runs-on-linux/