[News] Musicians Rebels Against Moguls, There is a Better Way

  • Subject: [News] Musicians Rebels Against Moguls, There is a Better Way
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 21:11:36 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Musicians Starting To Assert Copyright Termination Rights Against Record Labels

,----[ Quote ]
| There's been a lot of attention recently to
| the news that the heirs of comic book
| artist Jack Kirby are alerting companies of
| plans to take back the copyright on various
| Kirby characters, using the termination
| rights in the Copyright Act. This followed
| a very long and drawn out lawsuit involving
| a similar attempt over Superman. The
| details are really complex, but copyright
| law allows the original creator (or heirs
| if that creator has passed away) certain
| opportunities to basically negate a deal
| that was signed early on to hand over the
| copyright on certain works. The idea was to
| help protect artists who signed bad deals,
| but in practice, it's just been a total
| mess.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091009/0233096474.shtml

Is Balance The Right Standard For Judging Copyright Law?

,----[ Quote ]
| The argument is, effectively, that
| "balance" as a concept in copyright law
| really only makes sense if you believe that
| copyright law is designed to reward a
| content creator for their labor -- in legal
| terms, the "sweat of the brow" argument.
| However, courts in both the US and Canada
| have rejected a "sweat of the brow"
| standard for copyright law, as being
| separate from the purpose of copyright law.
| If you believe that "sweat of the brow" is
| appropriate, then you are starting from a
| position that a content creator naturally
| deserves rewards from all benefits that
| result from his or her work. And, thus, the
| "balance" is in slowly removing some of
| those rewards and giving them to the
| public, until things are seen as "fair" for
| both sides.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091007/2131526454.shtml

Recent:

Recording Industry Insiders Complain About Musicians Who Argue Against Kicking People Off The Internet

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, well. Last week, we noted that a large number of well
| known musicians had come out against the idea of kicking
| accused file sharers off the internet, noting that it would
| only escalate the problem rather than solve it. But, of
| course, the industry organizations who claim to represent
| musicians' best interests can't have that, so this week
| they're on the attack. The head of a royalty collection
| society apparently called the statement from musicians
| "grossly naive and desperately damaging." Yes, but damaging
| to whom? Perhaps to collections societies, but not to
| artists.Smart artists know that going to war with fans is
| never a smart move.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090914/1627576186.shtml

French 'pass' piracy legislation

,----[ Quote ]
| The French National Assembly has passed a draft law that
| would allow illegal downloaders to be thrown off the net.
|
| The law was narrowly passed by 285 votes to 225.

Old Music Conference Shuts Down, Blames 'Piracy'; New, Better Event Shows Up Instead

,----[ Quote ]
| The story behind the event is that Popkomm, one of the
| bigger recording industry events, held in Germany each year,
| was canceled this year, with the guy behind it blaming
| "piracy" rather than, say, the economy and structural
| changes in the industry. A bunch of folks in Germany who
| knew better decided to show Popkomm's organizers how to
| organize a better event these days, and scrambled, pulling
| together a fun-looking event to be held at the exact same
| time as Popkomm had originally been scheduled.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090914/0320226179.shtml

American Federation of Musicians Demand NDP Apology For Supporting Balanced
Copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday I posted on how security guards outside the Toronto copyright town
| hall demanded that the Canadian Federation of Students and NDP MP Olivia Chow
| stop distributing flyers discussing their positions on copyright.  It turns
| out there is further fallout from the incident.  Chow was distributing a
| flyer that included NDP MP Charlie Angus' interview with Exclaim! on
| copyright along with "count on me to speak out against Bill C-61 and
| anti-circumvention rules. I support stronger fair dealing." The Angus
| interview includes comments on the need for forward looking laws, the failed
| DMC, and the need to ways to monetize online activities.
`----

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4334/125/

Pirated Artist Orders Police Raid on Sony Music Office

,----[ Quote ]
| A Sony Music office in Mexico has been raided after the label refused to
| hand over the recordings of one of Latin Americaâs biggest artists,
| Alejandro FernÃndez. Police took over 6,000 CDs that Sony refused to
| return, even though FernÃndezâ contract with the label had ended.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/sony-music-office-raided-090907/

Morrissey tells fans to boycott new box set reissues

,----[ Quote ]
| The former Smiths singer claimed in a statement issued to fan site
| True-to-you.net, which he often communicates through, that he wouldn't
| receive any money from the reissues, released on November 2, and that he was
| not asked for approval for their release.
`----

http://www.nme.com/news/morrissey/46616

Stephen Fry on copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| At an event in London last night, the writer, actor, and gadget fan Stephen
| Fry launched a surprisingly ferocious attack on the music and movie
| industries over the way they have acted to defend their copyright.
`----

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/

Richard Marx (!) attacks RIAA after $1.92M Thomas verdict

,----[ Quote ]
| Jammie Thomas-Rasset was held liable to sharing 24 songs, including one by
| pop crooner Richard Marx. But the lawsuit wasn't done in Marx's nameâthis
| week, he called out the recording industry's "greedy actions."
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/06/richard-marx-attacks-riaa-after-19m-thomas-verdict.ars

Moby: The RIAA Needs to be Disbanded

,----[ Quote ]