[News] [Rival] Microsoft in Court Over Spyware Allegations

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft in Court Over Spyware Allegations
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 14:35:49 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft still fighting claim it distributed 'spyware' to XP users

,----[ Quote ]
| The plaintiffs allege that Microsoft
| improperly distributed the Windows Genuine
| Advantage tool, without proper consent from
| users, in a manner normally reserved for
| "high priority" security updates. WGA, as
| it's known, tests to see if a copy of Windows
| is valid and delivers warnings if it doesn't
| pass. Microsoft's Automatic Update system
| lets users opt in to receive fixes and
| patches for the operating system.
`----

http://www.techflash.com/seattle/2009/10/microsoft_still_fighting_claim_it_gave_spyware_to_xp_users.html?ana=from_rss

Recent:

TC forces Sears, Kmart out of the spyware business

,----[ Quote ]
| When Sears and Kmart offered visitors the chance to earn $10 by participating in
| some research, few realized that they would be sending even secure session
| browsing information to the big retailers. Now, the government has put the
| kibosh on this "blue light special."
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/09/ftc-forces-sears-kmart-out-of-the-spyware-business.ars

Will Windows 7 track your every move?