[News] New FOSS Adoption Stories and Releases

  • Subject: [News] New FOSS Adoption Stories and Releases
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 23:57:56 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open source CRM and ERP alternatives go commercial

,----[ Quote ]
| The back office for any company requires
| many different layers of software.
| Essentials like e-mail and a basic Web site
| are relatively simple commodities to run.
|
| The hardest job is delivering the kind of
| software that acts as the spinal cord for
| the business - that cares for all of the
| most essential details, big and small, that
| keep the customers paying the invoices and
| ensure the bank accounts hold enough money
| to make the payroll.
`----

http://www.itworldcanada.com/news/open-source-crm-and-erp-alternatives-go-commercial/138976

Alfresco Delivers Open Source Governance, Retention and Compliance Solution

,----[ Quote ]
| Alfresco Software, the leader in open
| source enterprise content management (ECM),
| today announced the immediate availability
| of the Alfresco Records Management Module,
| which also recently became the first open
| source software to pass the rigorous U.S.
| Department of Defense (DoD) 5015.02
| standard certification. This module and
| certification enables Alfresco to extend
| its cost-effective open source records
| management and retention tools to support
| the governance, retention and compliance
| strategies of federal agencies, government
| bodies and commercial organizations.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS67674+14-Oct-2009+BW20091014

Banca IFIS Adopts Ingres Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Ingres Corporation, the leading open source
| database management company and pioneer of
| the New Economics of IT, announced today
| that Banca IFIS (ISIN IT0003188064,
| Bloomberg ticker IF MI, Reuters ticker IF
| MI) has adopted Ingres Database, the
| leading open source database that helps
| organizations develop and manage business
| critical applications at an affordable
| cost. Ingres Database allows Banca IFIS to
| effectively manage the sensitive financial
| information resulting from the large number
| of financial transactions its customers
| make on a daily basis.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS88895+14-Oct-2009+BW20091014

Extentech and Alfresco Partner to Deliver a Powerful Open Source Web Spreadsheet

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.itworldcanada.com/news/open-source-crm-and-erp-alternatives-go-commercial/138976

Alfresco Delivers Open Source Governance, Retention and Compliance Solution

,----[ Quote ]
| Alfresco Software, the leader in open
| source enterprise content management (ECM),
| today announced the immediate availability
| of the Alfresco Records Management Module,
| which also recently became the first open
| source software to pass the rigorous U.S.
| Department of Defense (DoD) 5015.02
| standard certification. This module and
| certification enables Alfresco to extend
| its cost-effective open source records
| management and retention tools to support
| the governance, retention and compliance
| strategies of federal agencies, government
| bodies and commercial organizations.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS67674+14-Oct-2009+BW20091014

Recent:

Open source software can save India $2 bn

,----[ Quote ]
| As Indian consumers and enterprises evaluate the option of
| upgrading to Microsoftâs much-touted operating system (OS)
| Windows 7, to be officially launched on October 22, the free
| and open source software (FOSS) community has fired yet
| another salvo at proprietary software.
|
| In the year 2010, if FOSS is adopted at 50 per cent levels
| across the economy, India can save around $2 billion (around
| Rs 9,800 crore), suggests a study conducted by the Indian
| Institute of Management-Bangalore. Even a very conservative
| estimate, notes the study, pegs the cost savings for use of
| FOSS on servers as an operating system or as an application
| at Rs 138 crore in 2010.
`----

http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/open-source-software-can-save-india-2-bn/369858/

Could India Save Billions With FOSS? Whose Numbers Are Accurate?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/could-india-save-billions-with-foss-whose-numbers-are-accurate