[News] Government of Denmark Adopts Free Software, "Open Source for America" Progress Report

  • Subject: [News] Government of Denmark Adopts Free Software, "Open Source for America" Progress Report
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 00:01:27 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Lyngby-Taarbaek Municipality in Denmark Adopts Open Source Office Suite For All
Student Computers

,----[ Quote ]
| The Danish Ministry of Science recommends
| that open source should be used where it
| adds value. That is the case in Lyngby-
| Taarbaek Municipality which switches all
| student computers to an open source based
| office suite.
`----

http://www.egovmonitor.com/node/29601

What's new with Open Source for America?

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Source for America (OSFA) was announced
| as a coalition to encourage U.S. federal
| government support of and participation in
| open source projects and technologies. If that
| sounds like a broad-reaching goal, it is.

| Nearly three months after the group's
| debut, I was interested to learn what
| progress OSFA has made toward this goal.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source/whats-new-open-source-america-837

Recent:

DK: Municipality uses OpenOffice and saves a million DKK per year

,----[ Quote ]
| The Danish municipality of Gribskov has saved two million DKK, about 270,000
| euro, over the past two years by switching the public administration and
| schools to OpenOffice, Michel van den Linden, responsible for IT in the
| municipality says in an interview with the Danish IT news site Computerworld.
`----

http://www.osor.eu/news/dk-municipality-uses-openoffice-and-saves-a-million-dkk-per-year

DK: Telecom Agency offers open source desktop to staff

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.osor.eu/news/dk-telecom-agency-offers-open-source-desktop-to-staff