[News] Copyright Cartels Stagnate or Surrender to the Internet

  • Subject: [News] Copyright Cartels Stagnate or Surrender to the Internet
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 20:41:18 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

YouTube Strikes Deal With UK Broadcaster

,----[ Quote ]
| New content - and quite a lot of it - will soon
| become available on YouTube.  The video-sharing
| site's struck a revenue-sharing deal with
| Channel 4 that'll give it access to full-
| length, recently broadcast shows along with
| about 3,000 hours of archive material.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2009/10/15/youtube-strikes-deal-with-uk-broadcaster

It's Natural To Freak Out Over Someone Copying Your Stuff... But It Doesn't Make It Rational

,----[ Quote ]
| They see it, they freak out and go negative
| (or, worse, call in the lawyers). But if you
| take a step back, you can ask yourself (1) if
| the copying really matters one way or another
| and (2) if there's any way to use that copying
| to your advantage, rather than freaking out
| about it. That's the point we've been trying to
| make for years. In most cases, freaking out
| isn't going to make the situation any better
| (and it has a better than even chance of making
| it worse). But embracing it, and figuring out
| ways to use the copying to your own benefit can
| be tremendously rewarding.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091012/0349006491.shtml

Oh Shit, Someone Stole My Article

,----[ Quote ]
| For what its worth I donât have a problem with
| whats happened. None at all. I don't rationally
| believe it is 'stealing' either (hence the
| hopefully sarcastic quotation marks).
|
| In fact itâs rather justifying, it means that
| someone else believes/agrees my writing enough
| to share the value with his tribe.
`----

http://www.theindiedigest.com/article/oh-shit-someone-stole-my-article

Recent:

CONFIRMED: YouTube Negotiating With Studios to Rent Movies Online

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/techbeat/archives/2009/09/youtube_is_nego.html