[News] Google Uses GNU/Linux to Obliterate Microsoft

  • Subject: [News] Google Uses GNU/Linux to Obliterate Microsoft
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 23:01:43 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Google bets on ARM to kill both Intel and Microsoft?

,----[ Quote ]
| Google wants the whole world in the cloud,
| preferably using Google services and viewing
| Google ads while theyâre doing it. Fair
| enough. This competes directly with
| Microsoftâs more hardware grounded software
| and services strategy. With the recent
| announcement of the Chrome OS, Googleâs
| challenging Microsoft even more closely by
| offering a free open source option to the
| ubiquitous Windows OS and an even closer tie-
| in to their web services. To accelerate the
| process of getting more people using Chrome OS
| and getting them using Google online services,
| information is coming to light from our
| industry sources that indicates Google may
| very well plan to battle Intel and Microsoft
| on 2 separate fronts to win the OS, browser
| and services wars.
`----

http://shanzai.com/index.php/market-mayhem/8-op-ed/318-google-bets-on-arm-to-kill-both-intel-and-microsoft

No, that's not the Google Chrome OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Interesting download site choice don't you
| think? That's what I thought. I then looked at
| the screen shots and I thought this looks real
| familiar. Of course, it did. I quickly
| recognized an early version of Google Chrome
| Web browser for Linux.
|
| In fact, with a little checking I found that
| this particular version of the Chrome Web
| browser, google-chrome-unstable_4.0.222.6-
| r28902_i386.deb, has made several earlier
| appearances before masquerading as the Chrome
| operating system.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/14919/no_thats_not_the_google_chrome_os

First Look: Google's Chrome Browser Within The Chrome OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Rumors regarding what form Google's Chrome
| operating system may take have been popping up
| thick and fast ever since the Linux-based OS
| was announced back in July, but now the first
| legitimate hints as to what the user interface
| (UI) may look like have surfaced.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2009/101409-first-look-googles-chrome-browser.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Relax Folks, Leaked Chrome OS is Really Just the OS's Browser

,----[ Quote ]
| Google this week apparently let slip a
| "chromeos" folder in the same directory where
| its nightly Chromium browser builds are
| stored, causing a stir of speculation on the
| Web that the company had leaked an early look
| at its upcoming Chrome OS. As it turns out,
| that's not the case.
`----

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/relax_folks_leaked_chrome_os_really_just_oss_browser

Recent:

Want That Early Chrome OS Build? You Got It.

,----[ Quote ]
| Frederickson has placed the files he downloaded
| a few days ago on a Rapidshare account for
| anyone to access. You can find them here.
|
| Will Google be pleased about this? Probably not,
| considering they removed the files from the
| Chromium folder shortly after our post. But
| whatever, it's open source, yo.
`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/10/14/want-that-early-chrome-os-build-you-got-it/

New Opera browser turns any PC into a server

http://blogs.usatoday.com/technologylive/2009/10/new-opera-browser-turns-any-pc-into-a-server.html

First Look At Browser That Will Be Included in Google Chrome OS

,----[ Quote ]
| On Monday, a mysterious Chrome OS folder
| appeared in that dayâs newest Chromium build
| for Mac. The folder, which was compatible with
| Linux only, has been removed by Google.
`----

http://erictric.com/technology/first-look-at-browser-that-will-be-included-in-google-chrome-os

A First Glimpse Of Chrome OS In The Flesh

,----[ Quote ]
| It would seem that the result is the browser
| aspect of Chrome OS running inside of Linux.
| As you can see in the screenshots below, it
| looks very similar to Chrome, the browser, on
| Windows (still the only officially released
| version of Chrome), but there are some key
| differences.
`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/10/13/a-first-glimpse-of-chrome-os-in-the-flesh-at-least-the-browser-part/

Chrome OS Peeks Out Its Head A Bit Further. And What Is The Touchpad?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/10/12/chrome-os-peaks-out-its-head-a-bit-further-and-what-is-the-touchpad/