[News] GNU/Linux Desktop: the Question of Choice Defended

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Desktop: the Question of Choice Defended
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 23:04:37 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Choosing a Desktop Linux Distro, Part 1: Getting What You Want

,----[ Quote ]
| For newcomers to the open source world, selecting
| a Linux desktop from the many available choices
| can seem overwhelming. But don't let that stop
| you! There's plenty of free expert advice
| available online to help you narrow the field and
| figure out which distro is likely to best suit
| your needs.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/68392.html?wlc=1255713971

Recent:

Freedom to Choose

,----[ Quote ]
| It is always good to have alternative for
| practical reasons among many factors which
| serve as basis for the move or choice.
| Stability, flexibility, easy of use, level of
| security, efficiency, lower cost are my
| personal basis when i have to choose between
| something.   Specially when the quality, degree
| of it's delivery are the same or when the
| difference are hardly noticeable.
`----

http://leiron.be/exttopics/linux_windows.html

How to Run Multiple Linux Distros Without Virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| Before we get started, it would be a good idea to go over exactly what weâre
| doing and how it all works. When you start up your Linux computer, you go
| through a series of steps to boot up. GRUB, your bootloader, loads the kernel
| thatâs specified in GRUBâs config file, attaches it to your root partition,
| and runs the init scripts stored there. From then on, your system is running
| from within that root partition.
`----

http://maketecheasier.com/how-to-run-multiple-linux-distros-without-virtualization/2009/08/11

Life is about choice, computing should be too.

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/life-is-about-choice-computing-should-be-too-32981