[News] Censorship and Internet Police State Again

  • Subject: [News] Censorship and Internet Police State Again
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 00:29:33 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Home Office backs down on net censorship laws

,----[ Quote ]
| The government has abandoned its long-standing
| pledge to force 100 per cent of internet
| providers to block access to a list of child
| pornography websites.
|
| The decision to drop the policy will be
| finalised at a meeting on Monday to be
| attended by internet industry representatives,
| children's charities and Alun Michael MP.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/16/home_office_iwf_legislation/

Labour MP: Disconnecting File-Sharers is Futile

,----[ Quote ]
| With the support of at least 18 other
| politicians, UK Labour Party MP Tom Watson has
| tabled an Early Day Motion in which he
| questions government proposals to disconnect
| or throttle alleged file-sharers. Calling the
| measures âfutile,â Watson says those accused
| should have the right to legal redress in a
| court of law.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/labour-mp-calls-disconnecting-file-sharers-futile-091014/

ISP slams Mandelson's 'anti-piracy' scheme

,----[ Quote ]
| TALKTALK has carried out an experiment
| designed to illustrate the extent to which
| Lord Mandelson's 'anti-piracy' measures are
| ill thought out.
|
| The UK Internet service provider is trying to
| prove that extreme measures designed to thwart
| file sharing could see innocent people accused
| of stealing music and other content just
| because they have left their wireless networks
| open.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1558900/isp-slams-mandelson-anti-piracy-scheme

Confused message on UK broadband

,----[ Quote ]
| Finland has made broadband a 'legal right',
| leading experts to question whether the UK
| government is similarly committed.

Landmark ISP piracy case could kick thousands offline

,----[ Quote ]
| A landmark Australian court case could see
| thousands of Australians losing their internet
| connection, and has major implications
| worldwide for the law on copyright.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/16/australian_court_isp_piracy/

Whaddaya Know: Obama Administration Seeks Delay In Handing Over Telco Immunity Lobbying Info

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier this week, we noted that a court had
| rejected, yet again, the Obama
| administration's attempt to stall in handing
| over info on who lobbied to get telco
| immunity. At the time, we asked what excuse
| the administration would use to delay again --
| given that the release of documents was due
| today, Friday. Well, it appears they haven't
| come up with any excuse... they've just tried
| asking the court yet again -- as if the first
| three "no" answers weren't enough.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091015/2316326557.shtml

More Stakeholders Weigh in on Net Neutrality Debate

,----[ Quote ]
| The Communication Workers of America have
| added its voice to the debate over the Federal
| Communication Commission's proposed net
| neutrality rules. The Wall Street Journal
| reports that the union told the FCC that the
| proposed rules - particularly those that
| address competition and transparency -- should
| apply to every Internet company, "including
| network providers, application and service
| providers, and content providers."
`----

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/cm/blogs/bentley/more-stakeholders-weigh-in-on-net-neutrality-debate/?cs=36746

Secret ACTA treaty can't be shown to public, just 42 lawyers

,----[ Quote ]
| As the secret Anti-Counterfeiting Trade
| Agreement rolls forward, it's clear that some
| kind of Internet "enforcement" will end up in
| the text; but what kind? Thirty-eight
| corporate lawyers and 4 public interest
| lawyers are the only ones with a say.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/10/these-42-people-are-shaping-us-internet-enforcement-policy.ars

Climate change activist stopped from travelling to Copenhagen

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/oct/14/climate-change-activist-held