[News] Former SUSE Community Head Impressed by Clipperz (AGPLv3)

  • Subject: [News] Former SUSE Community Head Impressed by Clipperz (AGPLv3)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 22:42:13 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The Coolness of Clipperz

,----[ Quote ]
| I came across Clipperz while I was still at Bungee
| Labs. I was doing some research on open source
| licenses, especially the Affero GPL (AGPLv3). I
| spoke about AGPLv3 in several posts around that
| time.
|
| Clipperz is a perfect example of a product that
| should be licensed under AGPLv3. First, open source
| has big advantages for security-related software so
| that flaws can be identified and fixed quickly.
| Second, since Clipperz is essentially Software-as-a-
| Service, AGPLv3 provides the creators with
| protection against the SaaS Loophole (that is,
| someone taking their source code, replicating their
| service, making improvements, and choosing to keep
| the source code closed). Third, it means that if
| youâre the deeply paranoid type who doesnât trust
| having someone else host your passwords, you can use
| the software to host the your own service. And if
| you have the technical chops for it, you can examine
| the code and determine whether it meets your
| standards for security.
`----

http://reverendted.wordpress.com/2009/10/16/the-coolness-of-clipperz/

Recent:

GPLv3/AGPLv3 Adoption: If It Happened Too Fast, I'd Be Worried

,----[ Quote ]
| Since the release of GPLv3, technology pundits have been opining about how
| adoption is unlikely, usually citing Linux's still-GPLv2 status as (often
| their only) example. Even though I'm a pro-GPLv3 (and, specifically,
| pro-AGPLv3) advocate, I have never been troubled by slow adoption, as long as
| it remained on a linear upswing from release day onward (which it has).
`----

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/blog/2008/nov/13/gplv3-agplv3-adoption/

Related:

AGPLv3 Keeps Open Source Vibrant in Age of SaaS

,----[ Quote ]
`----

https://fossbazaar.org/?q=content/agplv3-keeps-open-source-vibrant-age-saas