[News] Cisco Tries to Contain the Free Software Competition

  • Subject: [News] Cisco Tries to Contain the Free Software Competition
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 22:46:23 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Cisco Spots Opportunities, Challenges In Arizona

,----[ Quote ]
| First, some background. Astricon, hosted by Digium,
| attracted roughly 620 developers, customers and
| partners focused on the Asterisk open source IP PBX.
| N-able Partner Summit attracted roughly 350 managed
| service providers running N-ableâs remote monitoring
| and management (RMM) software. Cisco had a major
| presence at both events.
|
| [...]
|
| Cisco will have three choices:
|
|     * Cisco could ignore and dismiss Asterisk,
|     asserting that it isnât a business option.
|     Microsoft made this mistake in the early days of
|     Linux and is now paying the price. Ciscoâs
|     presence at Astricon suggests Cisco wonât make the
|     same mistake in the Asterisk market.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2009/10/16/cisco-spots-opportunities-challenges-in-arizona/

Cisco faces competition also from Vyatta. Commodity threat....

Running the IT of a company with Open Source software only?

,----[ Quote ]
| Many people have wondered whether running a company
| using Open Source software is possible. The answer
| is âyes we canâ. Does it make sense though? Well, it
| depends.
|
| There are good alternatives for almost every
| important commercial software available today. Are
| they able to beat the commercial proprietary
| software? Maybe yes, maybe no. Are they good enough?
| Most of the time, yes. But of course it depends on
| the actual requirements.
`----

http://www.eosdirectory.com/blogs/2009/10/16/running-the-it-of-a-company-with-open-source-software-only/

Recent:

Cisco Contest Milepost on Journey to Open Innovation

,----[ Quote ]
| Bernhard Beckmann's Team BugsBernie from
| Germany won US$20,000 for their
| Integrated Surveillance System
| application. Basically, their app turns
| an IP phone into a silent
| microphone/monitor that tracks noise
| levels in the room. If their is too loud
| a noise (based on a configurable decibel
| level), a notification is sent where ever
| you want: a security company, the actual
| owner of the room, whomever. Oh, and try
| to pull the cord out of the phone, and
| the alarm goes off, too.
`----

http://www.linux.com/news/featured-blogs/168-brian-proffitt/117241-cisco-contest-milepost-on-journey-to-open-innovation

Cisco becomes a major Linux server vendor overnight

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10370165-16.html