[News] Suggestions for Upgrading from Mac OS X to GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Suggestions for Upgrading from Mac OS X to GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 02:03:38 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Migration from Mac to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| When in OS X (and in Windows) the default action
| is a very predictable beast. You want to make
| sure this is mimicked in Linux. In GNOME you can
| right click a file, select Open With, and then
| set that as the default application for that
| type of file. As much as this might seem second
| nature, for OS X users this is simply not an
| issue. Having everything so well integrated is
| not a feature on OS X, itâs a requirement. So
| make sure everything works exactly as expected
| BEFORE the OS X user touches their Linux box.
`----

http://blogwire.co.cc/2009/10/migration-from-mac-to-linux/

Recent:

My development setup

,----[ Quote ]
| Base software
|
|     * Arch Linux â itâs my 6 day with this distro
|     actually, Iâm a Gentoo fanatic but from time to
|     time I try to use something different. I usually
|     how Iâll end up now. So far I really like Arch,
|     itâs extremely lightweight, fast and stable.
|     Software availability is as good as in Gentoo.
|     Itâs also easy to make your own packages which
|     is crucial for Ruby developers since it happens
|     that we need various non-standard stuff, like
|     letâs say Nginx with Passenger support. Iâve got
|     a feeling that this time I wonât go back to
|     Gentoo
|
|     * KDE â itâs my desktop environment and one
|     of the most important reasons why Iâve
|     switched back from OSX to Linux.
|
| [...]
|
| Dev tools:
|
|     * GIT - probably the best SCM in the world
|     * QGit4 â sometimes I use this git gui to
|     view history of a project
|     * ZSH with a pimped prompt for GIT
|     * Nginx with Passanger â better then
|     script/server
|     * VirtualBox â I have 3 Windows virtual
|     machines each with different version of
|     Internet Explorer, only for testing of course
`----

http://blog.solnic.eu/2009/10/18/my-development-setup

Five tips to help ease the migration from Mac to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course you might be thinking âOS X is supposed
| to be the most user-friendly OS available, so
| wouldnât migrating to Linux be even more
| difficults?â Not exactly. There are certain
| elements of OS X that inherently make the process
| of migrating to Linux easier than when migrating
| from Windows. Take, for instance, the mounting of
| images and drives. This task is completely
| obfuscated from the Windows user, but the OS X user
| actually knows to unmount a drive before removal.
| But what about simple, every day usage? How do you
| make that more understandable for one moving from
| OS X to Linux? Letâs find out.
`----

http://www.ghacks.net/2009/10/14/five-tips-to-help-ease-the-migration-from-mac-to-linux/

Mac computers are restrictive.

,----[ Quote ]
| There are amazing PC laptop computers that you can buy for $600
| comparing to Apple latops that are usually around $1300 and more.
| Apple computers are overpriced, proprietary, restrictive and
| protectionist. This might not be a good direction to be heading
| into. Could Apple prove to be even more restrictive and opressive
| than Microsoft?
`----

http://www.idreamoflinux.com/2009/09/mac-computers-are-restrictive.html

Can Ubuntu 9.10 Outperform Mac OS X 10.6?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_karmic_leopard&num=1