[News] Experienced GNU/Linux Users Require Different Distributions

  • Subject: [News] Experienced GNU/Linux Users Require Different Distributions
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 16:51:29 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

2009's Top 10 Reader's Choice Linux Distributions

,----[ Quote ]
| Since I'm not familiar with some of the distributions on
| this list, most of the information is taken directly
| from the distribution's own website.
|
| 1. Arch Linux - Billed as a lightweight and flexible
| Linux distribution that tries to Keep It Simple. Arch
| Linux is an independently developed, i686/x86-64 general
| purpose GNU/Linux distribution versatile enough to suit
| any role.
`----

http://www.daniweb.com/news/story231478.html

Thoughts from 6-month-old Gentoo user

,----[ Quote ]
| I am a six-month-old Gentoo user now! Six month ago, I
| posted about being a newbie of Gentoo. Now I could say I
| am happy with my decision of switching from Fedora.
| Please note that Fedora is a great distribution, I
| personally think Fedora is better than most of
| distributionsâUbuntu included.
`----

http://fedoratux.blogspot.com/2009/10/thoughts-from-6-month-old-gentoo-user.html

Recent:

Fedora 12 goodness

,----[ Quote ]
| Iâm especially happy about the PulseAudio
| changes that land in this release (and, to be
| fair to our erstwhile fellow distributions, in
| Mandriva 2010 and Ubuntu 9.10 as well, for the
| most part). Awesome features like having any
| audio device on your system show up to any
| UPnP client as a UPnP server â any audio being
| played on that device will automatically play
| on the client â and great Bluetooth
| integration â so any Bluetooth audio device
| you pair with will show up as a device in
| PulseAudio just like any other card in your
| system â really help to tell the PulseAudio
| story. These are the kinds of things that
| either just never got done or got done in
| really unusable, half-assed ways before we had
| PulseAudio, and now itâs as easy as crashing
| my phone is this evening (and believe me,
| thatâs pretty easy). Fantastic job by all the
| PA developers.
`----

http://www.happyassassin.net/2009/10/16/fedora-12-goodness/

Gentoo: âWe're Not Deadâ

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2008 the Gentoo Foundation ceased to exist,
| sending rumors of Gentooâs demise and ultimate
| death circulating around the Internet. Almost
| two years on, the distro is still here and
| celebrating its 10th anniversary. How close
| did the distro come to disaster, and where
| does it stand now?
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7570/1.html

Gentoo Ten Live DVD 10.1 (New Release)