[News] Latest Evils of Intellectual Monopolies Cartels

  • Subject: [News] Latest Evils of Intellectual Monopolies Cartels
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 17:40:49 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The Copyright Lobby's Secret Pressure On the Anti-Spam Bill

,----[ Quote ]
| As I posted earlier today, the Electronic Commerce
| Protection Act comes to a conclusion in committee on
| Monday as MPs conduct their "clause by clause"
| review.  While I have previously written about the
| lobbying pressure to water down the legislation
| (aided and abetted by the Liberal and Bloc MPs on the
| committee) and the CMA's recent effort to create a
| huge loophole, I have not focused on a key source of
| the pressure.  Incredibly, it has been the copyright
| lobby - particularly the software and music
| industries - that has been engaged in a full court
| press to make significant changes to the bill.
`----

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4464/125/

Hey, showbiz folks: Check your contract before your next tweet

,----[ Quote ]
| Thereâs a growing number of studio deals with new
| language aimed specifically at curbing usage of
| social-media outlets by actors, execs and other
| creatives. The goal: plugging leaks of disparaging or
| confidential information about productions via the
| likes of Twitter, Facebook and YouTube.
`----

http://www.thresq.com/2009/10/check-your-contract-before-your-next-tweet.html

Copy shop liable for direct infringement from student on-premises copying of course packets

,----[ Quote ]
| The Eastern District of Michigan issued a decision on
| Wednesday that is sure to be controversial. A group
| of publishers brought suit alleging that a copy shop
| had infringed thirty-three of their works. The copy
| shop had accepted course packets from professors;
| ensured that the course packets were in proper form
| to be copied; given the packets to students upon
| request; and provided copy machines for the students
| to copy the packets.
`----

http://www.exclusiverights.net/2009/10/copy-shop-liable-for-direct-infringement-from-student-on-premises-copying-of-course-packets1/

First Read: Follow the Breadcrumbs

,----[ Quote ]
| New clues to the content and sustainability of
| journalism are all around us. They are melding good
| reporting, a sense of place, a passion for community,
| and information that adds value. To really
| reconstruct journalism, we need to follow these
| breadcrumbs, make sense of the patterns and re-
| imagine what news and information needs to be for the
| futureânot just how we pay for it.
`----

http://www.cjr.org/reconstruction/follow_the_breadcrumbs.php

Recent:

Oh Shit, Someone Stole My Article

,----[ Quote ]
| For what its worth I donât have a problem with
| whats happened. None at all. I don't rationally
| believe it is 'stealing' either (hence the
| hopefully sarcastic quotation marks).
|
| In fact itâs rather justifying, it means that
| someone else believes/agrees my writing enough
| to share the value with his tribe.
`----

http://www.theindiedigest.com/article/oh-shit-someone-stole-my-article

CONFIRMED: YouTube Negotiating With Studios to Rent Movies Online

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/techbeat/archives/2009/09/youtube_is_nego.html