[News] Windows Machines Fitted with Android/Linux, Android 2.0 Coming

  • Subject: [News] Windows Machines Fitted with Android/Linux, Android 2.0 Coming
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 21:47:30 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Android 1.6 retrofitted onto Samsung Q1 UMPC (video)

,----[ Quote ]
| Too busy to bother with buying an Android-powered
| Archos 5? Then you're probably way too busy to
| bother with this here hack. But just in case
| you've got a morning you can wipe clean and a few
| afternoons where you can scoot out early, it's
| apparently possible to load up an Android 1.6 port
| onto one's Samsung Q1 UMPC.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/20/android-1-6-retrofitted-onto-samsung-q1-umpc-video/

Android 2.0: Exchange, Facebook and new maps incoming

,----[ Quote ]
| Googleâs all new Android 2.0, also known as
| Eclair, has just been detailed. There are plans
| for a slew of new features for the open source OS,
| including native Exchange support, Facebook
| integration, better YouTube support and a rejigged
| Google Maps app.
`----

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology/2009/10/19/android-2-0-exchange-facebook-and-new-maps-incoming-115875-21758782/

Recent:

Microsoft's curious lack of ambition in mobile

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is fond of talking about just how much it spends on research and
| development. But it's time to stop talking and start shipping. I've heard
| rumors of an exceptional mobile product on the way from Microsoft, but that's
| all I ever hear: something "in the cooker" that will "rock the world soon!"
|
| As Morrissey used to croon for The Smiths, "How soon is now?"
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10314386-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Microsoft's smartphone market share: sub 10 percent and falling

,----[ Quote ]
| According to the latest figures from Canalys, Microsoft is losing share in
| the smartphone market as the number of platforms proliferates and it now
| commands less than 10 percent.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/27040/127/

Onwards and upwards for smartphones and their apps

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Gartner-and-Frost-Sullivan-smartphone-studies/?kc=rss