[News] Why Free Software Companies Need to Give Up Control

  • Subject: [News] Why Free Software Companies Need to Give Up Control
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 21:59:30 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Why Open Source Companies Need to Give Up Control

,----[ Quote ]
| The open source *community*, by contrast, is not
| in it for the money, but the software â that's how
| it's defined: by its interest and involvement in a
| piece of code. When that code is sold, the
| community gains nothing, and might even suffer if
| the new owner is buying an open software project
| for the wrong reasons â to remove a threat to its
| own closed-source offerings, for example.
|
| [...]
|
| That's handy for open source companies, but breaks
| the underlying contract of mutual benefit with
| companies and people that contribute code. And
| without the reciprocity, I think the urge to
| contribute is bound to diminish, because there is
| likely to be an underlying feeling that external
| contributors are being unfairly exploited â not
| least when a company decides to âsell outâ.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2594&blogid=14

Recent:

Open sourcers strike back at Google cease-and-desist

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/28/google_android_developers_reaction/