[News] CVC3 Goes Free, Suggestions for Making More Free Software Attractive

  • Subject: [News] CVC3 Goes Free, Suggestions for Making More Free Software Attractive
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 22:26:20 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

CVC3 License Changed to BSD

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm delighted to report that this has a happy
| ending. CVC3's license has just been changed to a
| straight BSD license - a well-known license that
| is universally acknowledged as being FLOSS. This
| means that there are no licensing problems for
| Linux distributions. Only about a day after he
| found this out, Jerry James has submitted a CVC3
| package to Fedora. So, I expect that in a
| relatively short time we'll see CVC3 available
| directly in common Linux distribution
| repositories.
`----

http://www.dwheeler.com/blog/2009/10/17/#cvc3-license

How to make free software as popular as recycling

,----[ Quote ]
| Much of my thinking on this issue stems from an
| interview I did in 2006 with Peter Brown, the
| executive director of the Free Software Foundation
| (FSF). At the time, the FSF was launching its
| first social campaigns, and Brown said that he
| wanted to see free software become as much of a
| mainstream issue as recycling.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Off-the-Beat-Bruce-Byfield-s-Blog/How-to-make-free-software-as-popular-as-recycling

Recent:

Deep packet inspection engine goes open source

,----[ Quote ]
| A leading European vendor of deep packet inspection (DPI) has just open-
| sourced the detection engine that identifies protocols passing over the
| Internetâjust don't count on learning how it identifies even encrypted
| BitTorrent and Skype connections.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/09/deep-packet-inspection-engine-goes-open-source.ars

ACme: Wireless Energy Management Goes Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/earthToTech/idUS367434102320090508