[News] AT&T AstroTurfing Against Net Neutrality Without Disclosure

  • Subject: [News] AT&T AstroTurfing Against Net Neutrality Without Disclosure
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 22:39:03 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

AT&T Asks Employees To Hide AT&T Affiliation While Protesting Net Neutrality Laws

,----[ Quote ]
| Take, for example, the backlash today on the news
| that AT&T's chief lobbyist sent out an email to
| all AT&T employees urging them to protest any new
| net neutrality laws and hide their AT&T
| affiliation as they do so. AT&T has confirmed the
| email, which has numerous factual errors (and
| remember, I actually agree that net neutrality
| laws don't make sense). But, more importantly, the
| mainstream media is now calling AT&T out for this
| outrageous effort to have employees pretend
| they're not employees in protesting these rules.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091020/1054406603.shtml

Rubber-stamping 'three strikes'

,----[ Quote ]
| The EU must defend citizens' rights from the
| machinations of member states â internet access is
| part of freedom of expression
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/libertycentral/2009/oct/18/european-parliament-file-sharing

Recent:

Flip Flops Are Evil

,----[ Quote ]
| Surprisingly, AT&T has reversed its position, and is now
| passionately supportive of net neutrality. What, you may ask,
| caused this dramatic shift? Why, Google, of course. AT&T filed
| a letter with the FCC today complaining that Google Voice
| blocks calls to certain rural locations. According to AT&T,
| blocking phone calls is a violation of net neutrality â
| dictionary, anyone? â and thus Google is in violation of the
| rules that aren't rules which AT&T vehemently despised but now
| passionately adores.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/flip-flops-are-evil

Verizon, AT&T: Net neutrality not OK for wireless

,----[ Quote ]
| "We are concerned, however, that the FCC appears ready to
| extend the entire array of Net neutrality requirements to what
| is perhaps the most competitive consumer market in America:
| wireless services," he said.
|
| He argues that wireless networks differ from wireline
| broadband networks because bandwidth is more limited on a
| wireless network. And he said that imposing new rules on how
| carriers operate their wireless networks would stifle
| investment.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-10357806-266.html

Related: