[News] Google's Linux Phones Listed, Some go PAYG

  • Subject: [News] Google's Linux Phones Listed, Some go PAYG
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 14:28:37 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Android Avalanche: A Complete List Of The Android Phones So Far

,----[ Quote ]
| Google CEO Eric Schmidt stated emphatically
| during Googleâs most recent earnings call
| that âAndroid adoption is about to explode.â
| We agree â despite developer hiccups,
| Android is about to have its moment in the
| sun. An avalanche of new devices are hitting
| worldwide markets, and some of them are
| serious contenders.
`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/10/19/android-galore-a-complete-list-of-the-android-phones-and-their-specs-droid-best/

TalkBack: An Open Source Screenreader For Android

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier this year, we blogged about project
| Eyes-Free â a collection of Android
| applications that enable efficient eyes-free
| interaction with your mobile phone. Since
| then, one of the questions we have received
| most often is about a complete access API to
| enable general purpose adaptive technologies
| such as screenreaders.
|
| We are happy to announce the first version
| of such an API as part of the latest Android
| release (Donut). This new API is now
| available within the Android 1.6 SDK , and
| we welcome developer feedback. The Android
| Access framework generates
| android.view.accessibility.AccessibilityEvent
| event payload contains additional details
| about the event, e.g., the user interface
| control that received focus. This access
| framework enables the creation of general
| purpose screenreading applications that make
| all of Android's user interface, as well as
| native Android applications built with
| standard Android widgets usable without
| looking at the screen.
`----

http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2009/10/talkback-open-source-screenreader-for.html

Android goes PAYG

,----[ Quote ]
| Android is no longer a contractual
| commitment. T-Mobile has launched Pulse: the
| UKâs first Android-based smartphone
| available on pay-as-you-go.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/10/22/tmobile_payg_pulse/

Recent:

Android 1.6 retrofitted onto Samsung Q1 UMPC (video)

,----[ Quote ]
| Too busy to bother with buying an Android-powered
| Archos 5? Then you're probably way too busy to
| bother with this here hack. But just in case
| you've got a morning you can wipe clean and a few
| afternoons where you can scoot out early, it's
| apparently possible to load up an Android 1.6 port
| onto one's Samsung Q1 UMPC.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/20/android-1-6-retrofitted-onto-samsung-q1-umpc-video/

Android 2.0: Exchange, Facebook and new maps incoming

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology/2009/10/19/android-2-0-exchange-facebook-and-new-maps-incoming-115875-21758782/