[News] Proprietary E-Voting Code Does Nefarious Things

  • Subject: [News] Proprietary E-Voting Code Does Nefarious Things
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 14:55:48 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Sequoia Accidentally Reveals (Potentially Illegal?) E-Voting Code

,----[ Quote ]
| So now there's a project underway to analyze
| the code, which can't make Sequoia very
| happy. But what may be even more interesting
| is that the folks hosting the code are
| suggesting that the way Sequoia buried its
| code in data files may violate federal
| election law concerning e-voting systems.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091020/1749566613.shtml

Guardian, Trafigura, Carter-Ruck, &c.

,----[ Quote ]
| So there's been a huge mess on; you probably
| all know about it by now. Bunch of unethical
| corporate cowboys, gang of lawyers,
| Byzantine (not to say Kafkaesque) legal
| proceedings obsessed with letter rather than
| spirit, left-wing newspaper fighting back by
| sticking to the letter of Parliamentary
| procedure and making the spirit do triple
| reverse somersaults.
|
| Not my field, so I'm not going to comment
| further on that, but I have just read the
| Minton Report (PDF link) and have some
| comments to make about the chemistry
| involved.
|
| Most of them are unrepeatable, but can be
| summarized as "they did WHAT? WHY? What the
| BLOODY HELL did they think they were doing?"
|
| In short, they found a nice-looking process
| to refine their partially treated crude,
| decided that using an actual chemical plant
| and some sensible procedures was too much
| like work, churned all the stuff together in
| the hold of a ship, and then slung in some
| more caustic soda for good measure,
| presumably on the age-old pharmaceutical
| principle of "well, if a little bit is good
| for you, a lot must be much better,
| right?"[1]. After that, they separated out
| the bit they wanted[2] and threw away the
| rest.
`----

http://mirrorshard.livejournal.com/190047.html

Recent:

Pelosi Adds Voice to Open Source Voting Systems Momentum

,----[ Quote ]
| âEverywhere I go, no matter what else people have to
| say, they ultimately ask one question: âWhy should we
| work our hearts out if the fix is already in?ââ
| Pelosi said during a keynote speech at a fundraiser
| last week held to benefit Open Voting Consortium
| (OVC). âWhen we look at the elections and look at how
| close everything is, you know that thereâs something
| happening in that machine that we need to know
| about.â
`----

http://www.fogcityjournal.com/wordpress/2009/10/07/pelosi-adds-voice-to-open-source-voting-systems-momentum/

Diebold Unloads Beleaguered Voting Machine Division

,----[ Quote ]
| The company announced Thursday that Premier Election Solutions, Dieboldâs
| beleaguered voting machine division, has been acquired by Election Systems
| and Software (ES&S).
`----

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/09/diebold-sells/

Which licence is best: EPL, GPL or BSD?

,----[ Quote ]
| Debates about the pros and cons of various licences available to free and
| open source software developers often end up generating more heat than light.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/27436/1090/

Diebold Admits Audit Logs in ALL Versions of Their Software Fail to Record
Ballot Deletions

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.bradblog.com/?p=6995