Re: Windows 7 released only one day and networking problems hitting the forums already.

____/ Terry Porter on Friday 23 Oct 2009 01:53 : \____

> How long before the poor Windows 'dupes' realize that they have only
> bought another copy of Vista ?
>
> Wise up folks, get a Ubuntu CD for free, don't bother with being sucked
> into buying a second copy of Vista, which is exactly what "Windows 7" is!
>

> Get Gnu/Linux/Ubuntu  NOW!  http://www.ubuntu.com/
>

> begin{quote}
> G'day all,
>
> With the release of Windows 7 yesterday I decided to upgrade my PC, went
> out and bought a full range of new hardware as well as the new OS.
> Everything was going well, upgraded no problems, installed the OS,
> everything was looking good until I tried to connecting the my network.
>
> First issue was drivers for wireless NIC â solved that.
>
> 2nd issue was, whenever I tried to wirelessly connect, it would
> automatically reboot the router (Netcomm NB6+4W). After 5 hours of
> reading I noticed other people were having this same issue but different
> symptoms with various other routers, such as a DLink one and a Belkin,
> one would just lock the router while the other would disable Wireless on
> it.
>
> After trying a number of different things such as disabling IPv6
> protocol, disabling/enable the Broadcast DHCP flag, I gave up and ran a
> long Cat5 cable to the router instead. Then I found the 3rd issue.
>
> Windows 7 combined with this particular router will not automatically
> assign an IP address, I have to set a static, which is easy enough to do,
> but I now suspect the 2nd issue is also related to DHCP. Has anyone had,
> seen, or noticed any particular issues like these? Perhaps some that
> existed on Vista? Would like to be able to go wireless again.
>
> On and another note, tested connecting to a dinosaur router I had â
> Netgear ??614 and it works no problems. So seems to be an issue with
> certain particular models and brands. My Netcomm has latest firmware
> installed (considered down-grading to see if that fixes it but no idea to
> what version), my NIC's all have latest drivers. Any help or
> considerations would be much appreciated!
> end{quote}
>
> http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1305868

Vista7 inherits Vista's new and broken (non-BSD) stack, so no surprise here.
They also both had remote BSoD/hijack flaw one month ago.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

C treats you like a consenting adult. Pascal treats you like a naughty
child. Ada treats you like a criminal. -- Bruce Powel Douglass
 12:05:01 up 9 days, 15:06,  2 users,  load average: 0.40, 0.67, 0.78