[News] Vista 7 Parade Rained on by GNU/Linux, Bad Microsoft Results Looming

  • Subject: [News] Vista 7 Parade Rained on by GNU/Linux, Bad Microsoft Results Looming
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 12:20:47 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Apple and Linux Forces Rain on Windows 7 Parade

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple and Linux advocate IBM both tried hard
| to cramp Microsoft's style this week before
| the Windows 7 rollout even got under way. On
| Tuesday, Apple launched a new iMac, MacBook,
| and Mac Mini line, while IBM joined with
| Linux distributor Canonical to introduce a
| new "cloud-and-Linux-based" offering called
| IBM Client for Smart Work.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/174075/apple_and_linux_forces_rain_on_windows_7_parade.html

IBM Teams With Ubuntu For Windows 7 Alternative

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM Client for Smart Work is similar to
| solutions IBM has already been offering in
| other parts of the world, including Europe
| and Africa, where Linux is better accepted
| as an alternative to Microsoft Windows for
| desktop PC use, said Antony Satyadas, global
| marketing strategist for desktops at IBM.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/220800148;jsessionid=RHSHFWLCNBDENQE1GHRSKHWATMY32JVN

What if you had a launch party and nobody came?

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM chose to announce a tie-up with
| Canonical to punt an Ubuntu and Lotus cloud
| offering that might appear, maybe sometime
| next year. Who knows. They were quite
| explicit that they were aiming to steal
| Microsoft's thunder.
|
| Red Hat chose yesterday to meet journalists
| and declared "Microsoft was untouchable -
| until recently". Salesforce.com's Marc
| Benioff is making appearances all over
| London, including one at a Google conference
| on cloud computing.
|
| Meanwhile the tide of Fedora, Mozilla and
| Open Office betas continues unabated.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/22/win7_launch/

Recent: