[News] Python 3 Migration to be Made Simpler by Freeze

  • Subject: [News] Python 3 Migration to be Made Simpler by Freeze
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 13:55:25 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Proposal: Moratorium on Python language changes

,----[ Quote ]
| The main goal of the Python development
| community at this point should be to get
| widespread acceptance of Python 3000. There
| is tons of work to be done before we can be
| comfortable about Python 3.x, mostly in
| creating solid ports of those 3rd party
| libraries that must be ported to Py3k before
| other libraries and applications can be
| ported. (Other work related to Py3k
| acceptance might be tools to help porting,
| tools to help maintaining multiple versions
| of a codebase, documentation about porting
| to Python 3, and so on. Also, work like that
| going on in the distutils-sig is very
| relevant.)
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/357996/

Moratorium for Python 3

,----[ Quote ]
| Guido von Rossum, author of the Python
| programming language, has proposed freezing the
| grammar and semantics of the language for a
| "period of several years". By doing so, von
| Rossum is hoping to facilitate the move from
| Python 2 to Python 3.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Moratorium-for-Python-3-836421.html

Recent:

Make a Python game in minutes with Gloss

,----[ Quote ]
| In this tutorial, I'm going to walk you through what it takes to
| make a simple game with Pygame + Gloss. All the code is already
| written (and I think you'll find it very short!) so it's just a
| matter of explaining to you what it does and why. We used Linux
| (naturally), but both Pygame and Gloss should work fine on Windows
| too - make sure you have Pygame, Python OpenGL and Gloss
| installed, and if you're on Linux you'll also need the Numpy
| Python module.
`----

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/make-python-game-minutes-gloss

On the PySide - interview

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently the dot carried an article about the first public release of PySide,
| LGPL python bindings to Qt. We conducted a short interview with one of the
| people behind PySide, Nokia employee Matti Airas
`----

http://www.kdenews.org/2009/08/24/pyside-interview

The current state and future of Python

,----[ Quote ]