[News] GNU/Linux Capitalises on Vista 7 Launch That Went Very, Very Bad

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Capitalises on Vista 7 Launch That Went Very, Very Bad
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 21:05:06 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Collaboration suite from IBM, Canonical targets potential Windows 7 customers

http://www.thestandard.com/news/2009/10/23/collaboration-suite-ibm-canonical-targets-potential-windows-7-customers

Windows 7 v Ubuntu 9.10: an illustrated guide

,----[ Quote ]
| Enterprise IT managers, frustrated for the last
| three years by Windows Vista, have recently
| begun to move Linux from its traditional home
| in the datacentre out to user desktops.
| However, it's still very much a minority option
| and Linux's progress could be halted in its
| tracks by the release of Windows 7, which is
| widely seen as the logical upgrade for those
| still running XP.
|
| Whether or not Windows 7 will actually put paid
| to Linux on the desktop remains to be seen. But
| to give you flavour of how the two platforms
| measure up, we've compiled a brief illustrated
| guide, comparing key business features as
| implemented in Windows 7 and the latest version
| of the world's favourite Linux distro â Ubuntu
| 9.10, otherwise known as Karmic Koala.
`----

http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/os/0,1000001098,39828572,00.htm?s_cid=260

Windows 7â So what?

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows 7 does reduce the âfatâ. It requires
| less memory and made minor improvements to the
| âsnappynessâ of the Operating System.
|
| However, these comparisons are against Vista,
| the PIG. Any improvements, can be regarded as
| an improvement, no matter how small, because
| Vista was really that bad. (Sure after a year
| or two and SP2 Vista was stable and usable).
| But, if you compare Windows 7 to XP, Windows 7
| is still a PIG. It still consumes triple the
| RAM, Disk and CPU power, not to mention
| Graphics memory.
`----

http://webhostedservices.com/blog/?p=58

Harry Tuxxer and the Curse of Windows 7

,----[ Quote ]
| Harry stretched his legs at his workstation
| under the stairs. He had been there for the
| entire night debugging the latest iteration of
| Ubuntu Owl mail. It was vital that he delivered
| a message to the old wizard Stallmandore. The
| forces of darkness felt closer than ever and
| Harry's scar throbbed as it always did when
| proprietary software vendors were close by.
`----

http://www.siriusit.co.uk/blogs/23-oct-2009/harry-tuxxer-and-curse-windows-7

Five Ways Windows 7 Could Become another Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows 7 is finally here. The sun can shine
| and the birds can chirp. Ding dong, Windows
| Vista is dead! Perhaps that is a bit premature.
| Windows 7 hasn't been officially released for
| 24 hours yet, so its understandable if the jury
| is still deliberating. There are certainly
| those who think Windows 7 is nothing more than
| Windows Vista with an extra bell or whistle
| thrown in for eye candy.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/174201/five_ways_windows_7_could_become_another_vista.html

Microsoft promotes Windows 7 with a bunch of giant Whoppers

,----[ Quote ]
| Now some Asian dude is going to drop dead from
| eating enough cholesterol to kill anything
| thatâs ever lived.
`----

http://izanbardprince.wordpress.com/2009/10/23/microsoft-promotes-windows-7-with-a-bunch-of-giant-whoppers/

Elgan: Is Windows 7 cursed?

,----[ Quote ]
| The Today Show, which averages some 5 million
| viewers, hosted Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer to
| officially launch the Windows 7 operating
| system. But what possessed the Today Show art
| department to show Windows 7 on an older
| MacBook Pro behind Ballmer?
|
| Microsoft can hardly blame the Today people.
| The company did the same thing in one of its
| own ads. The laptop used in a TV commercial for
| Microsoft's Songsmith is a MacBook. Microsoft
| put stickers all over the Mac, including one
| strategically placed over the Apple logo, to
| hide the fact. Are Windows laptops really that
| hard to find?
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9139839/Elgan_Is_Windows_7_cursed_

NEWS ROUNDUP 23/10/09

,----[ Quote ]
| Oops Microsoft did it again!
|
| Whilst our MS Faithful are praising the
| greatness of Vista 7 and the fact that they can
| get Vista users upgrading their OS to what
| Vista should have been in the first place, in
| the back of their minds must be the news that
| yet again Microsoftâs profits are down.
`----

http://openbytes.wordpress.com/2009/10/24/news-roundup-231009/

Windows 7 beats Harry Potter?

http://openbytes.wordpress.com/2009/10/22/windows-7-beats-harry-potter/

Recent:

Windows 7 Problems with 7Loader. Help!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWCOufpWztw

Windows 7 Problem playing DVD in Media Center

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id2EsdTMggo

Windows 7 games problem HELP!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLzB_kzR_CI

Windows 7 â Itâs Vista All Over Again

,----[ Quote ]
| âThere you go againâ. The Gipper said it in
| 1982, and Iâm saying it today â but about
| Windows 7, not Jimmy Carter.
|
| Because the more I play with Windows 7, the
| more I see the Vista debacle unfolding all
| over again. The commonly accepted wisdom is
| that Windows 7 is oh-so-much-better than
| Vista. Well, based on my own extensive
| testing, itâs not. Not at all.
|
| First a bit of history. Back in 2006 I was
| editor-in-chief of PC Magazine. Vista was
| coming out and we were pretty darn
| laudatory. Microsoft provided us with new
| hardware, we tested beta versions of Vista,
| and we loved it. Shortly after it shipped,
| alas, the Wow was less Now than Ow. Vista
| sucked upon release to the world for a wide
| range of reasons â not least because the
| networking and audio driver models were
| completely rebuilt in the six months prior
| to release. That led to driver problems,
| along with general instability. When I left
| PC Magazine in 2007, my parting column was
| a bit of an apology â weâd been too easy on
| what turned out to be one of Microsoftâs
| more uneven efforts.
|
| Itâs easy to get snowed. Microsoft provides
| its favored reviewers a steady stream of
| highlights, new versions, and new features
| â along with brand new hardware to run the
| new builds upon. A team of technical
| marketers inside the borg stand at the
| ready â helping the anointed work through,
| and around, any problems that develop
| during testing.
|
| [...]
|
| Weâve seen this story before. Vista was
| overhyped when it came out by everyone from
| PC Magazine to the Wall Street Journal. And
| now Windows 7 is getting the same treatment.
`----

http://louderback.com/2009/windows-7-its-vista-all-over-again/

Overheard: Windows 7 is just Vista with new shade of lipstick

http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarget.com/overheard/overheard-windows-7-is-just-vista-with-new-shade-of-lipstick/

Is Windows 7 Just a Vista Service Pack?

http://seekingalpha.com/article/118240-is-windows-7-just-a-vista-service-pack

Is Windows 7 just Vista in disguise?

http://www.daniweb.com/news/post975843.html

Ballmer: Windows 7 is Vista, just 'a lot better'

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9117399/Ballmer_Windows_7_is_Vista_just_a_lot_better_